Menu

AoPS Goemetry Schedulng

This is our first attempt at using an AoPS text for a "real" math course, so I don't have a feel for it. The general idea I get is that people don't try to schedule AoPS, but I would really like to have an idea of how long things take. (Dd is a box checker, so I need to know how much to put in each box.)

Looking through the text, I get the feeling that dd could easily do a section or two a day, but then take several days over the Review Problems and Challenge Problems. Is that what happens?

All I can say is that DD finished the AoPS geometry text in less than a school year; she had time to work the last few sections of Intro to algebra, and to do the first four sections of Intermediate algebra during the same school year. (I do not have my records with me as we are currently traveling, so I can't give you the precise number of hours she worked on the book)

What we found is that the difficulty GREATLY varies - the initial chapters were a breeze, but some chapters took a lot longer than others. I actually doubt the student can thoroughly work more than one section a day, if even that much, except for selected chapters, because some of the problems are really time consuming.

Sorry to be of no help - we enjoy AoPS and go at whatever pace works for the material; I found that I am unable to predict in advance how much time to schedule for which portion, unless I would actually work all the problems myself.

Did your dc spend more than one day on the Review Problems or the Challenge Problems? (IOW, if I plan a day for each, is that realistic?)

My DD worked all practice problems at the end of each section, but we only had her do a selection of the review and challenge review problems at the end of the chapter. We selected problems to represent all important concepts studied in the chapter. Usually she worked those in one session.