Menu

? audio stories vs. screen time

I don't know how to ask this but hopefully someone will have thoughts.

I've got a child who doesn't handle screen time (computer, movies, TV, etc.) well at all. He obsesses, doesn't separate well, and it affects his mood and attention span in a very negative way. So his only screen time is if we watch an online clip with a lesson.

Both my kids love audio stories. We get them from the library collection, librivox, storynory, etc. Lately his issues with screen time seem to be blending into his audio story listening? I'm upset about it because I've believed all the great literature we listen to has been good for my boys and they enjoy it so much.

Do you think listening to audio stories affects the brain in the same way a video or video game would affect the brain? Do you think they would have similar effects on, say, attention if a child is sensitive or other negative effects?

He's spectrumy so maybe it's just that he's over-focusing on them.

Sure. Sometimes kids get obsessed with the books they're reading too. I bet I read The Black Stallion 100 times in my childhood. It spawned a whole fantasy about living on the beach with my horses and my friends.

I love audiobooks. It would take me all evening to list all the reasons I love them and why they're so much better for kids than screen time. They just are.

Here's my summary:

Audiobooks = good

Screen time = not so much

:)