Menu

Biblioplan requirements

BP has changed so much since we used it just 2 years ago. We did Medieval for 6th grade using just the guide, maps and timeline. I purchased an additional spine but used lit selections I already had. The Cool History and Coloring Pages weren't available when we did this unit so I'm unfamiliar with those. We did a lot of outlining and summaries a la WTM. It was sufficient for us.

We used it 2 years ago, when they didn't have the Cool History option too. We just did the coloring pages, so the kids had something to do while they were listening. They really enjoyed that.

After a year off, we're returning to BP this year, and I ordered the Cool History. I really, really like it. It's a good way to reinforce what they've heard by filling in blanks/answering quesitons. I was not impressed with the Craft booklet for 1850-2000. We'll do very few of them, and I could've come up with those ideas on my own. I do like their Maps, too, with lists of places to label.

You really could have plenty to do with just the guide and reading, though. The other items are completely optional in my opinion, based on what extras you want.

Hope that helps!

We're just starting in the fall but I went back and forth on this also. I ended up getting the SOTW activitiy guide instead. I think the coloring pages are better and so are the crafts, just going by the biblioplan samples. I have a 5th grader so I got the cool history pages and the maps also but I would not have if my oldest was under 3rd grade. Just my opinion.:D

I got the bundle #1, which included the parent companion, cool history pages, and maps. I did not get the coloring pages since my kids don't like to color.

The maps are very good for an older child. They were even good for my first grader except that I had to do all the work. He just had to tell me where to write things. He learned from them, but it was very parent-intensive because of his age and lack of writing ability. I think in 3rd or 4th grade, he could probably have done them himself (speculating here, since he's just at the beginning of 2nd grade now). I use straight SOTW+AG now, and the AG maps are soooooo much more appropriate for the younger set. The BP maps had more to do, so they'd be more appropriate for the older set.

We enjoyed the cool history page questions. I didn't do any of the activities recommended.

The parent companion has some good notes to read. I often never got around to reading them though. I read the first few weeks' worth myself, but never read them to my son, as again, he was only in first grade. Older children would probably get something out of them though. :)

I use the older Biblioplan (it's our second time through), so I don't know how much the list of books itself has changed, but to me that and the schedule is the heart of the program. The books are great and I don't have the time to put together my own list and schedule them out. History in our house is primarily reading, and most of that reading is out loud together. It's our favorite subject and my girls have retained so much. We do not use the other BP products, though we do use a different map program and keep a timeline going. You can definitely have an excellent history program in your home without the other products, especially if you are a family that loves reading and is successful with reading being the primary mode of learning.