Menu

Kolbe Anyone?

Jujudalu

I would like to hear from Kolbe users, present or past, please. What did you like/dislike about the curriculum? Was it interesting/stimulating or dry?:001_smile: I have heard that they are very good to work with. Was that your experience? Did you enroll or just use their materials? What was the workload like? I am especially interested to hear about their science and HS courses.

Thanks

I can't tell you much yet but I have the elementary literature course for my DD to use this fall. Basically it looks like mostly short answer questions to go along with her reading assignments. But, it looks very thorough and there are tons of books/assignments to use. It is billed as a 3-year program and I can totally see that.

I am strongly considering enrolling with Kolbe starting next year (for 1st). It is mostly because I would like to have a transcript since DH is undecided about homeschooling throughout. If we are still homeschooling in high school, I will definitely use Kolbe for that. Their high school curriculum is amazing.

I was able to look at all of their books at the IHM conference. I could try and answer any questions you have about that. I will definitely not be using their math (although I might use Saxon 5/4 and higher...it really depends on whether we stay with McRuffy or switch to Singapore). I will also not be using their history because I am going to be doing lit based unit studies for history. I don't love their science because it is a textbook, but they do add some neat experiments in there to keep it fun. I also like that they only do one book for two years so you can delve in deeper if your kids have an interest. Plus, you don't miss the end of the book every year. I am definitely using their religion and LA. They are very solid. The lit program (starting in 4th) is awesome!!!!! I have heard that they are adding a new writing program that also looks really great and I think that starts in 4th as well.

Honestly, they are so easy to work with. They truly believe that the parents are the best able to determine how to educate their children. Their program is very solid and rigorous. I just lean towards CM and unit studies so I won't use everything as is. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call them. They are very friendly on the phone and will answer all of your questions.