Menu

13 Reasons Why

Has anyone read 13 Reasons Why by Jay Archer? If so, what are your honest thoughts about having a previously suicidal teenager read it?

I just finished it and I'm really torn. It's on my youngest's summer reading list from 10th grade ps, but my fear is that he will identify with the girl who committed suicide and start thinking out his own elaborate plan when people can't "read his mind" rather than seeing the "good" that's supposed to come from the book.

Any thoughts - esp from anyone with experience?

No.

I read it. I was so absorbed and it really affected me. I wanted someone else to read it just so I could discuss it with someone. But not my kids. Granted, my kids are only 12, but even a 15 year old...I don't know. But one who already has had some emotional troubles...just no. She's leaving that stinging, guilt-inducing message after she's gone. I think it would be too much for someone who can relate, who is the same age, etc. I would skip it.

I really liked it, though.

That's what I was thinking too, both when I saw what the book was about and as I read it.

Now I have to figure out what to say to the guidance office. This class is the only high level 10th grade English class they offer. They had 4 summer reading books. I was pleased to see 1984 and Night on there. I have massive issues with Spud (boarding school sex crazed book) and now this one. With the right teacher I think I could possibly deal with this one as it is a good book for discussion, but since this same teacher picked "Spud" I've lost all respect for him - and I could see where my guy could identify with the wrong person in 13 Reasons Why. I could totally see him coming up with his own plan if he wanted to as he's another who expects people to be able to read his mind or take him at his word when it's not what he means just as Hannah in the book. He may not see that as wrong. He may adopt her reasoning as his even if his issues are different. I'd rather not plant a seed.

BUT, if I lower him down a level in English he's not only below his capability (tested 99th percentile in English on standardized 8th grade testing) he's in with a less academic group of kids plus the guidance office won't be able to check off "Most Rigorous Courseload" when it comes time to apply to colleges.

This is really frustrating. I wish there were an easy answer. :001_huh:

Unfortunately, homeschooling isn't it for this guy. Been there, tried that, was REALLY fearful once, and returning to public school for him has been helpful in that regard. It's just the academics that stink - and now this.

You know, I listened to the story. And your post made me feel like listening to it again. There are two narrators - the boy and the girl, so it is like listening to those tapes myself. And it's powerful.

I think in your situation, you should request that he be assigned a different book. Even if you have to explain the circumstances. I can't imagine they'd make him read it.

Are they discussing these books or is it just summer reading to complete?

I'm always surprised by the books ps thinks should be required reading for discussion. Some are great reads, but not necessarily anything I would think should be "required" at all. This would be one of those books.

Are they discussing these books or is it just summer reading to complete?

I'm always surprised by the books ps thinks should be required reading for discussion. Some are great reads, but not necessarily anything I would think should be "required" at all. This would be one of those books.

They are discussing these books in the fall. Every student has to read them and answer questions about each book, then come prepared to be tested on the books and have a brief (one day each) discussion about them.

It sort of makes me think about Hannah describing the class she was in when they discussed suicide. I can see it being horribly inadequate for the "wrong" student and my guy has been there in the past. Right now, we seem to be over it, but I just don't want to go there and see if the spark is out. One never knows with these kids who don't really communicate their feelings well.

I honestly can't see why Spud or 13 Reasons Why need to be read by every student in our top level 10th grade English class. College board puts out a list of 100 recommended books. There are many others that could be equally as worthy. But these two??? For Honors kids trying to learn English and working toward (theoretically) nice four year colleges? :confused:

We have had students at our school commit suicide in the recent past - not last year, but the year before and a couple before that in my 11 years of teaching there. I'm guessing they've chosen this book to try to combat that, but I can see it backfiring for that wrong student or two who identifies with the wrong main character. Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. I'd just rather not go there. The book is powerful and should be aimed at cliques who aren't "seeing" what they are doing, but that's not everyone.

IF it's discussed I'd really it rather be with a trained psychologist/psychiatrist, not with a run of the mill English teacher (who definitely isn't popular --> not due to academic rigor).