Menu

Science for Highschool

Julia, I haven't known a single family who completed the TWTM science :-0 There is a huge push at this subforum to press through the most rigorous science textbooks possible. I'm not sure why :-0

And as for me, and my self-education, I'm ploughing through some elementary textbooks and resources :-) I like the ESP lab method, and am enjoying MASTERING it :-0

Edited by Hunter

If you are talking about Science for High School by Bridget Ardoin, dd used the Physical Science in 9th grade. It looked great in theory but in reality it did not work out so well. The hardest part for me was grading the work and knowing if she had sufficiently researched the topics. This was even with the answers provided in the TM. Dd, who would usually thrive on a curriculum like this, did not like it at all. Really, really wanted it to work but it fell flat for some reason. After my experience, I heard the same results for at least 2 other people.

We used Science For High School (Biology) in the Fall of 2009 and it was a huge disappointment. The curriculum is researched based. It consists of 5-7 questions for each subject (1 subject per week) and the student needs to research to find the answers. There is a quiz for each week and for each semester. The first semester, which is all about human anatomy, had fairly good questions. The second semester consisted of asking the same 20-30 not very challenging, life-science type questions for about 10 different phylum. Granted, my dd already knew a lot about biology but this type of work is mind-numbing.

The problems showed up immediately with quiz 1. For the factual questions there were many errors in the questions or the answers. For the research questions, the answers given were often not the same as what my dd had found in her research. The questions, as written, were so broad that my dd would often end up in a different place than what the author intended. We quickly stopped using all quizzes and tests because my dd got very frustrated.

We really wanted to like this curriculum, but I cannot recommend it.

Julia, I haven't known a single family who completed the TWTM science :-0 There is a huge push at this subforum to press through the most rigorous science textbooks possible. I'm not sure why :-0

And as for me, and my self-education, I'm ploughing through some elementary textbooks and resources :-) I like the ESP lab method, and am enjoying MASTERING it :-0

:iagree: It's really weird huh? What's recommended in WTM and what's recommended here seem to be miles apart. With a really precociously academic kid I can see heading to college level for high school----but we honestly just enjoy using high school level materials....well...for high school! ;)

We also tried the Physical Science course and had the same results. I had to read over the answers to the questions, quizzes, and tests. Then rewrite or add to the questions, to help guide my daughter to the correct answer so that she could complete the program. In theory, I love the idea, I just wasn't crazy about the implementation. I had thought about skipping the tests, and just having my son do the research questions to find what he could, we would discuss it, and then do the experiments. Anyways, my dd switched to a textbook approach to finish off the year, and has been much happier with that.