Menu

I really want to be at peace using Rod & Staff math

My dd7 was having a hard time with math. We tried Saxon and it didn't work for her (it was all over the place and it was even driving me crazy). We even tried Math U See, I knew that would be a hit for sure but it wasn't. We are now doing RS math 2, basically starting the year over again :(

She is doing GREAT with it. The problem is that I keep comparing it to other math programs and beginning to feel like it is really behind. I feel bad that I wasted our first year trying to figure out what math program was going to work for her. I am also using RS math 1 with my ds5 and he is doing well. The first part seems like more for kindergarten anyway.

How can I resist the urge to switch programs again or supplement out of fear of her being further behind than she already is? I know that we can get caught up and move on to third grade this year but I can't help but feel like an awful mother because of it.

Overall our first year went ok but I feel like most of it was figuring out what worked and what didn't is that normal?

Thank you!

I think it is normal to spend a year figuring out what works for you. I'm now using Math Mammoth with my oldest. She will be starting 5th grade this fall, but is still at the beginning of MM 4A. I go through periods of worrying about her being "behind", but then I remember that she will probably get to algebra by 8th grade, which was accelerated when I was in school.

I started tutoring a 6th grade girl this summer in math. She really struggles to do the 4th grade math that my dd is working on. I've come to the conclusion that is so much more important to teach the child, not the curriculum. If your dd gets a solid foundation in math (which R&S will give her), it will be much easier for her later on.

It would appear that experimenting in the beginning is quite normal. A friend reassured me of that just this week (his children are homeschooled and he's a math teacher, for what it's worth). In fact, he was telling me about some switching they were doing for their oldest. He had solid reasons though, not just an insecure, uncertainty with what they'd been using so I'm not saying that to say, "Just jump."

Granted, I'm not personally experienced, but I endeavor to follow the advice of those more experienced than myself in progressing in math according to the child's speed where "behind" means only that I'm giving my child work what is behind his level of ability at which point I need to move faster, or skip ahead if possible. If R&S works for her, stick with it and move at her speed. You also have plenty of time available to you through schooling year round (at least for math) to be able to move further ahead in a year without overburdening her in her daily workload.

I have really struggled in finding the right math program too! But congrats on finally finding it, that seems like the hardest part.

We started out R and S, then went to RightStart and ended up CLE. I thought we were doing well because DS was doing 1st grade math when age-wise he was in K. But then my niece, same age as DS, comes for a visit and she is clearly far, far ahead. Sigh.

From my admittedly limited experiece it seems to matter so much more to find a program that fits well with a particular learner than to find a program that has the "right" schedule. I am so very sensitve about whether DS is behind; whether I am failing as a teacher and a mom. Luckily it is very easy to extend the schoolyear in case you need to hit a certain milestone (like if your doing standardized testing or your MIL is coming for a visit:D).

Okay, to make you feel better, we've done 3 different programs in 4 years and are switching again this coming year! My son is a little behind grade level, but I feel confident he'll catch up.

You're not a bad mom, you are just trying to find the right fit for your child, and thart is the beauty of homeschooling! Just think if your child was in public school and he/she was stuck with a program that didn't "jive" with him or her? You might have to spend major bucks on a tutor or deal with a total meltdown every night with homework!