Menu

Help w/ SOTW 1

Koerarmoca

I am doing this next year with my 1st, 4th & 8th graders. I understand its a bit young for my 4th & 8th graders but its really grabbed their interest in the sample readings and they had no love for history prior to reading the sample chapters. I am wanting to add to it some historical fiction books that would line up with this early time period that would be good for their age/grade. Can anyone recommend some titles for me.

Just to throw it out there, I've been doing SOTW1 over the summers only with my daughter, and we started the summer before 4th grade...worked on it that summer, the summer before 5th, and again this summer (the summer before 6th) and at age 10, she really enjoys it.

My son, who will be 6 in November, on the other hand, would have zero interest in it whatsoever.

I think third and fourth grades (and even up) are actually perfect for SOTW1 whereas I don't think a 5 or 6 y/o would really get anything much out of it at all. So I wouldn't worry about it being too young for your 4th grader... and if you're 8th grader is interested too, great! Some of the "supplemental reading" books suggested in the activity guide are just picture books, and the map work is very simple, but I can definitely see an 8th grader enjoying some of the other books and craft projects (and even coloring- I still like to color)! :)

Guest momk2000

I think third and fourth grades (and even up) are actually perfect for SOTW1 whereas I don't think a 5 or 6 y/o would really get anything much out of it at all. So I wouldn't worry about it being too young for your 4th grader... and if you're 8th grader is interested too, great! Some of the "supplemental reading" books suggested in the activity guide are just picture books, and the map work is very simple, but I can definitely see an 8th grader enjoying some of the other books and craft projects (and even coloring- I still like to color)! :)

:iagree:

I passed up SOTW for early elementary grades with my oldest. We covered American History during those years, and will do the SOTW series for 5th-8th. I will be doing the same for my youngest, now 6yrs.

my first grader will more or less just sit in on it for "story time" and a little geography I have CLE Social Studies I can do with her as well if she shows zero interest in SOTW. I think she will like it tough at least the parts on Egypt she is big into Egyptians for some reason.