Menu

Do we need AP classes?

My daughter will be in 11th grade in the fall. I have been searching through the archives to find some good information about whether or not AP classes are necessary. I know they aren't necessary for graduation, but what about for college? I am really torn about it. I have been looking at the AP English Language and Composition course through The Potter's School.

The reason I am hesitant is my daughter's plate will be quite full in the fall. She is doing MFW World History and Literature, Government and Economics (rigorous paid class locally), TT Pre-Calc, Apologia Physics, and Spanish II. She is a high level piano student and will have a few competitions in the spring. She currently is teaching piano to 5 students and 2 more will be added in the next month. She also volunteers 3 hours per week at a therapeutic horse back riding facility. She also plays in the worship band in our church.

We are really concentrating effort on studying for the PSAT this summer. After October we will switch to studying for the SAT.

I am so concerned about adding an AP class to her schedule. She is a good student but could become overwhelmed very easily. But I am worried that if we don't get some AP classes in she won't be a candidate for scholarships.

Does anyone have any advice???

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Oldest didn't have any and is happily attending his college with merit aid. He did take one community college class his senior year and got an A in it plus a great letter of recommendation from his prof as he was taking the class.

Middle son did one test his junior year and will have options to take two more tests his senior year. Whether or not he will take the tests will depend on where he's going to college and if they'll give credit for scores. He also has two community college classes already under his belt from junior year.

Part of your answer will depend on what colleges you are looking at and how competitive they are. Oldest got his #1 choice, but it's not competitive. We're still in the process with middle son. I won't have answers until March or April. He's looking at far more competitive places.

In general, you want high ACT or SAT scores (some schools wanting SAT 2 tests as well, but we haven't needed those). Then you want nice extra curriculars (which you have). It is also good to have outside confirmation of grades via a source that can write a letter of recommendation. (Most schools have wanted at least 2 letters.) Community college classes have worked for us in this regard, but AP or Co-op can suffice too as long as there are solid grades.

There's no "one" path, but AP is a common one.

Thanks so much for the information.

I was just looking at the college board's website and found an AP exam for Music Theory. This is one of my daughter's strong suits. She takes a standardized music theory exam each year. She scored 100% on the Level 9 theory test this past spring. I am going to buy the test prep book and have her work on that. Her instructor is amazing and will help also. She can take the exam in May.

Does getting a good score on an AP exam mean as much to colleges as having an AP course?

Thanks so much!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Does getting a good score on an AP exam mean as much to colleges as having an AP course?

Thanks so much!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Getting a good score on the exam means more to a college than just having the course. Colleges are well aware that students who take the course, but don't submit scores or don't take the test generally don't feel they did well (or could do well) on it.

That is truly music to my ears!!! :001_smile:

I am going to look for exams that coordinate with what she is already studying. She may only take two but now I feel a little more confidant. I just emailed her Government and Economics instructor for the fall to see if his course has been good preparation for the AP exams in government or econ. That might be an option too.

I really appreciate the advice!!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Oldest didn't have any and is happily attending his college with merit aid.

This is similar to our experience. 18yos received a full tuition merit scholarship to his first choice university with no AP classes or exams on his transcript. He did take some AP exams a few months *after* he won the scholarship, but these had nothing to do with the scholarship because the university didn't know he was planning to take them.

He took only one outside course in our homeschool, an internet Latin course.

Our other two graduated sons won half-tuition merit scholarships based on their SAT scores. They had no AP classes or exams, no cc courses, no internet courses, and no co-op courses, except one speech course with a few other families which dh and I organized and led.

This is just our experience with one university. I am sure different universities have different expectations.

Thank you Luann. My daughter is a really good test taker. She is in the Duke TIP program based on the ACT scores she took when she was 12. She did really really well on the English portion but not so great on the math. We are currently working through a PSAT prep book and hope to start an SAT prep book within a month. She will take the PSAT in October. Her initial practice test score was quite good. It was only a few points away from what the National Merit Scholar finalists scores were for 2010 in North Carolina. I am hoping we can improve the score.

I guess I am just getting a bit anxious as the time is getting closer and closer to college. I am worried that I haven't done enough to prepare her. My heart will be broken if she doesn't get into college. I was admitted into college with a pretty dismal high school GPA and SAT scores, but my parents were able to pay for my out of state tuition. That is not the case with my daughter. We need for her to get some scholarship money.

Anyway, I am rambling. It really helps to get advice from moms who have been-there-done-that. I don't know many homeschoolers IRL who have graduated kids who have gone onto college.

Thanks so much!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Thank you Luann. My daughter is a really good test taker. She is in the Duke TIP program based on the ACT scores she took when she was 12. She did really really well on the English portion but not so great on the math. We are currently working through a PSAT prep book and hope to start an SAT prep book within a month. She will take the PSAT in October. Her initial practice test score was quite good. It was only a few points away from what the National Merit Scholar finalists scores were for 2010 in North Carolina. I am hoping we can improve the score.

I guess I am just getting a bit anxious as the time is getting closer and closer to college. I am worried that I haven't done enough to prepare her. My heart will be broken if she doesn't get into college. I was admitted into college with a pretty dismal high school GPA and SAT scores, but my parents were able to pay for my out of state tuition. That is not the case with my daughter. We need for her to get some scholarship money.

Anyway, I am rambling. It really helps to get advice from moms who have been-there-done-that. I don't know many homeschoolers IRL who have graduated kids who have gone onto college.

Thanks so much!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

She will get into college, don't worry. ;)

And with regards to aid, there are two types:

Merit scholarships - offered at some schools generally for high SAT/ACT scores - sometimes competitive, sometimes not

Need based aid - offered at many schools based on income and FAFSA and/or a Profile

Between the two, it can work out well for kids with high stats as long as they look for schools known for decent aid. NMF will definitely help, but it's not the only option.

Do you have any ideas yet as to what types of colleges are appealing? Any thought toward major or general course of study?

Thanks for the encouragement!

We won't qualify for need based aid unfortunately. We do have a little bit squirreled away but not nearly enough.

Yes, my daughter is planning on majoring in music, specifically piano performance or piano pedagogy. She really wants to attend a college with a school of music not just a department of music. There are some good colleges in our area so she might be able to live at home. There are also some great schools in our state. My concern is that for music her SAT scores won't matter as much as an audition.

Thanks again!

Elise in NC

Thanks for the encouragement!

We won't qualify for need based aid unfortunately. We do have a little bit squirreled away but not nearly enough.

Yes, my daughter is planning on majoring in music, specifically piano performance or piano pedagogy. She really wants to attend a college with a school of music not just a department of music. There are some good colleges in our area so she might be able to live at home. There are also some great schools in our state. My concern is that for music her SAT scores won't matter as much as an audition.

Thanks again!

Elise in NC

The audition will count the most for a music major, but music majors with great SAT/ACT scores tend to get offered nice amounts of money from the few I've seen. I think part of the reason is that their SAT/ACT scores help the college out in the "rankings" even if not needed for the music major.

That said, without a good audition... she wouldn't get in. I've seen that happen too.

Enjoy the journey!

I have a friend whose son got a full ride music scholarship. If I was in your shoes, I would be pursuing those options since that is what she wants to major in, instead of worrying about APs in other areas. I think the Music Theory AP is a great idea. If she has that and strong SAT scores, and you search out those music scholarships, I think she'll be fine. Look for local foundations, too. A local man who died here a few years ago left his fortune as a foundation for those studying music. It is easy money :)

If she does ok on the exam, having the course would be irrelevant. At least, that's our experience.

But I think the AP exams are just one thing that a student can do to make themselves look good to colleges. They aren't strictly necessary. If your daughter wants to take an AP exam and is willing to put the work in, then go ahead. But if she's not really excited about it, I wouldn't push it too hard. She's the one who's going to have to do the studying.

It sounds like she will likely do well on the SAT or ACT. Anything in the 90th percentile is going to look really good to a college, so I wouldn't worry too much about raising the score a few points. State schools seem to be more concerned about making certain cut offs for merit aid, but, then, around here at least, they don't have as much merit aid to give as private schools. Our experience was that something above a 28-30 on the ACT triggered automatic awards at some private schools.

If she has other things going for her (and it sounds like she does), all she'll need is a decent ACT or SAT score and some college somewhere will be happy to have her. Or, alternatively, if she looks really good in her other activities (like her piano playing), her scores won't even need to be all that high.

My advice would be to make sure she's involved in *something* and doing a good job -- and not worry about the rest of the package. Also, even if she does a bad job at an audition, don't get too uptight. It may just mean that she can't start out as a performance major. But if she gets into a college otherwise and still wants to pursue performance, there are ways around that. I've known kids who worked hard their freshman year and then got into the program they wanted in music.

I have a friend whose son got a full ride music scholarship. If I was in your shoes, I would be pursuing those options since that is what she wants to major in, instead of worrying about APs in other areas. I think the Music Theory AP is a great idea. If she has that and strong SAT scores, and you search out those music scholarships, I think she'll be fine.

:iagree: