Menu

Transcript question

Hi everybody,

This is probably a stupid question, but if I put a 0.5-credit (one-semester) course on my daughter's transcript, how do I assign grade points? If she got an A, would she get two grade points - half of four? Also, what if the course is an honors course? How would I weight the grade?

Thanks.

:001_huh:

Divide the number of grade points she would have gotten for a 1-credit course by 2.

For example, if she gets an A in a 1-credit course and a B in a .5 credit course, her GPA would be (4*1 + 3*.5) / (1.5), where the 1.5 comes from the fact that she completed 1.5 credits.

what if the course is an honors course? How would I weight the grade?

It may not be in your student's best interest to weigh the grade; some colleges disregard Honors designations entirely, or disregard weighed grades, since the standards of Honors or the weighed grades varies widely between one high school (or homeschool) and the next. This can end up unfairly showing your student with a lower GPA than a student who did not do Honors work. You would definitely want to do some research on this topic. Here are some resources to at least get you started:

Homeschool Guidance Counselor website: article: advantages/disadvantages of weighing grades

Donna Young website: article: how to weigh grades

HSLDA website: article: awarding grades and weighing grades

Edited by Lori D.