Menu

Plans for two

AliciainNC

When my boys were those ages/grades, we did Latin, history and science together.

One would do handwriting, while I got the other going on math. Once that one was started, I'd start the other one on math. Then on would do journal writing while I started one in Language/English, etc. I just staggered the start/explanation times. The boys got used to the schedule and would wait for me to be done with the other one to interrupt. Once they got the idea, they did well with it.

We also read lots of books together. I often read through a book orally while the kids colored or did some kind of hand craft thing. We went through The Little House Series, and the Ann of Green Gables Series--well 3 of those books, that way.

Well, I have more then two but here are my basic scheduling thoughts.

In the morning we do things they are working at different levels, basically the 3 R's. I start with the youngest while the olders work independantly, and move through the line up, as the younger kids get done they can go play (with the toddler).

Then in the afternoon (and next year I think on Fridays) we do the group subjects- History, Science, Art, and Music.

When my boys were those ages/grades, we did Latin, history and science together.

One would do handwriting, while I got the other going on math. Once that one was started, I'd start the other one on math. Then on would do journal writing while I started one in Language/English, etc. I just staggered the start/explanation times. The boys got used to the schedule and would wait for me to be done with the other one to interrupt. Once they got the idea, they did well with it.

We also read lots of books together. I often read through a book orally while the kids colored or did some kind of hand craft thing. We went through The Little House Series, and the Ann of Green Gables Series--well 3 of those books, that way.

This is exactly how I handled it too. It worked rather well for us.

I have more than 2, but it would work the same, I think. This is only my second year homeschooling, and I am a pretty intense person, so if it isn't killing me off yet, then I think it would work for most.

We start the day with our religious work. Everyone together.

After that, my children that are the ages of your children, have silent reading time. (They are reading the same novels this year.) (I have to work with a K'er and 1st grader too.) After they are done with silent reading, they do CLE Language Arts. This is mostly independent, with me right there to help and go over everything, and they are working at their own grade level. After that, they both do math, using MUS, on their own level. They like the dvd's, and watch those, and then I am right there to help and do more explaining. Ususally they don't need me at the same time, but if they do, they wait. After that, they do WT together. (This works for us because the younger of the two is advanced in Lang. Arts. Same with the novels I chose for this year actually.) They enjoy WT together. We discuss the stories together and such. After that, they move to History, using SOTW, and then Science, which is Apologia Astronomy this year. It works well. We have "upside down" days too, where we begin at the end of the normal schedule, and work backwards...which also works well. The others are either older, and thus a big more independent, or younger, and more in need of mom. I have found that our days have naturally taken on a schedule that works for us. I was so worried about it in the beginning...had a 6th, 3rd, 1st, K'er and preschooler back then...but it seems like, I should have just relaxed and let it happen. There are some days that we don't follow either the "normal" schedule, or the "upside down" version. Days when the oldest does a wonderful science project that everyone enjoys, and then the whole thing is thrown off.