Menu

Help with Classical Read-Aloud Cycle: Which Bible Chapters?

kubiac

Hey everybody! My son is very young, but I love the idea of a classical cycle, as outlined in The Well-Trained Mind, and the idea that almost all reading aloud is powerful and good, as outlined in Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook, so I'm trying to incorporate a classical read-aloud cycle as part of my daily reading routine with the little one.

I started out with Aesop's Fables (I used the Classic Illustrated edition edited by Cooper Edens because I loved the variety of illustration styles included in the book; I'll probably do Jerry Pinkney's version next time for variety, and because I recently found a copy at the used bookstore!), and now we're getting toward the end of D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths, so it's time for another selection, which I think ought to be the Bible. (Right?)

I'm planning to use the two-volume Giant Golden Book Bible from the 40s and 50s, again because I have an illustrator fetish. (Old Testament is illustrated by Feodor Rojankovsky, New Testament is illustrated by the Provensens.) Anyway, this brings me to my question: Which chapters are best suited to be appropriate read-alouds for the preschool set? My own religious background consistent of a few sessions of Methodist Sunday School, but no extensive Bible Study, so many of the less celebrated chapters are a mystery to me.

I'm thinking of doing the chapters below. Am I leaving off anything pivotal and profound? Am I including anything particularly weird or challenging? I'm not overly concerned with sex and violence, believe it or not (I suspect at this stage it's all way over his head), I'm just looking for the most essential stories, the ones that have the best possible chance of capturing his attention, and/or ones he should learn first to appreciate Judeo-Christian culture. (He's Judeo on his father's side, LOL.)

OLD TESTAMENT

The Creation of the World

The Garden of Eden

The Serpent in the Garden

Cain and Abel, Sons of Adam

The Tower of Babel

Abram and Lot Seek New Pastures

Abraham and the Angels

Choosing a Wife for Isaac

Jacob and Esau and the Birthright

Jacob Tricks His Father

Jacob's Dream in the Desert

Jacob and Rachel

Joseph Is Sold Into Slavery

Joesph in the Land of Egypt

Joseph's Brothers in Egypt

Benjamin Goes to Egypt

Moses in the Bulrushes

Moses in Exile

Moses and the Burning Bush

The Plagues of Egypt

The Night of Passover

Crossing the Red Sea

The Bitter Well of Marah

Manna from Heaven

The Ten Commandments

Aaron Makes the Golden Calf

The Promised Land

Moses Completes His Work

Joshua Sends Spies Into Canaan

The Fall of Jericho

Gideon and the Midianites

The Trumpets and the Lamps

The Parable of the Trees

Samson and His Mighty Strength

Ruth, the Faithful Daughter-in-Law

Samuel, Child of the Lord

David, the Lord's Chosen One

David Meets Saul the King

David and Goliath

The Friendship of David and Jonathan

David Spares Saul's Life

The Psalms of David

The Wisdom of Solomon

Solomon Builds the Temple

Elijah and the Poor Widow

Elijah and the Priests of Baal

The Parting of Elijah and Elisha

Elisah Cures Naaman's Leprosy

The Prophecy of Isaiah

Josiah and the Book of the Law

Jerusalem Is Destroyed

The Song of the Captives

Daniel at Nebuchadnezzar's Court

The Statue of Gold

The Handwriting on the Wall

Daniel in the Lions' Dean

The Temple Is Rebuilt

Esther Saves Her People

NEW TESTAMENT

I'm thinking I'll read most, but skip the following. Thoughts?

* The Marriage in Cana

* The Daughter of Jairus

* Zacchaeus, the Tax-Gatherer

* The Gift of Languages

* The Lame Man at the Beautiful Gate

* The Apostles Escape from Prison

* Cornelius, the Good Centurion

* Apostles Mistaken for Gods

* The Story of Eutychus

* Paul in Prison (7 chapters)

* Paul's Letters (3 chapters)

Thoughts?

Edited by kubiac

I think the authors of the children's editions (at least those I'm familiar with : Golden Bible, Vos's and Egermeier's) have already selected the passages that would be meaningful to children, so I would find it difficult to pick a subset within that. For example, I thought the NT story of Zacchaeus, the Tax-Gatherer would be appealing to children because it shows how Jesus came to seek and save the lost, especially those most despised. Sorry, I know this answer is not very helpful.

Could you share the age of your ds? I recall at preschool level the curriculum I used had a simple theme each quarter (e.g. God's love, God's family - stories focusing on the Bible characters) and the discussions centering on that after Bible reading were key to bringing them to life.

He's such a baby I don't dare tell you his age--you'll either laugh or scorn me.

Anyway, point taken. I'll read it all. I'll get the education to save up for later, and he'll enjoy sitting there eating his Cheerios. :)

Oh, I didn't mean to discourage you! It's great that you have the motivation and energy. :grouphug:

I was one of those who personally found it hard to read books like "The Trumpet of the Swan" to a baby. Now that DS is older, I can read longer books (and see his interest) but am continually interrupted by the baby so I think you are right to cherish the time you have with him.

I hope others who have read to their very young ones can chime in, and be a better source of encouragement and advice. :lurk5: