Menu

How can I listen to my iPod in my car? I am so frustrated...

First, I tried one of those FM-radio transmitters. We couldn't find a station that would work reliably as we drove around town - I suppose because we're in such a dense area with so many stations fading in & out. Luckily Costco let me return that expensive device.

Next I tried a cassette converter. Every time I popped it into the cassette player, all of the warning lights on my dashboard started flashing - the stupid thing was somehow overloading a circuit. Luckily Amazon says I can return this inexpensive device.

I really want to listen to books on tape, etc. with the kids but don't know what else to do (short of buying a complete stereo system, which isn't practical since we'll probably be replacing the van in the next year).

Any suggestions for me?

I had poor luck with the FM kind that was powered from the iPod. Returned that one.

When i switched to a Monster iCarPlay that plugs in - it can pretty much overpower ANYTHING. When i turn off my iPod, i hear music. DH had similar luck and made me finally buy him the iCarPlay too. I'm talking like driving around Orlando radio stations - i don't have to change the station when i drive there. DH drove to Miami (4-5 hours from our house) and then up the other coast of FL and never had to change his station either!

Otherwise, you have tried both the options if your actual vehicle doesn't have a jack on it. :(

First, I tried one of those FM-radio transmitters. We couldn't find a station that would work reliably as we drove around town - I suppose because we're in such a dense area with so many stations fading in & out. Luckily Costco let me return that expensive device.

Next I tried a cassette converter. Every time I popped it into the cassette player, all of the warning lights on my dashboard started flashing - the stupid thing was somehow overloading a circuit. Luckily Amazon says I can return this inexpensive device.

I really want to listen to books on tape, etc. with the kids but don't know what else to do (short of buying a complete stereo system, which isn't practical since we'll probably be replacing the van in the next year).

Any suggestions for me?

I had no luck with the FM tuner gizmo either. In one car, I use the cassette thingy and it works great. The other car does not have cassette, so I use something similar to this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9874956

Mine is not quite so fancy. I bought it at Walmart for $15. It uses 2 triple A batteries, which last forever.

ETA: I found the one I have on Kmart's site:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_018W937991110001P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=MP3+Players&sName=Accessories

When i switched to a Monster iCarPlay that plugs in - it can pretty much overpower ANYTHING.

Hmm, it didn't occur to me that there might be differences in the brands (mine was a Belkin). So I just looked this one up on Amazon and the reviews were mixed - specifically, one reviewer said he couldn't use it in the Los Angeles area, grr. I will have to decide if it's worth the return- postage risk on this.

We have both the Monster and Belkin and both work great in Atl (heavy radio here). I sometime have to move the station around from 88.1 to 88.3. I would say my dh's Monster is a bit nicer. Cnet gives the Monster + a 6.8 out of 10 review. The best way is to hard wire it to the stereo. But that can be pricey. I think some car stereo places have kits and will install them for you.

Hmm, it didn't occur to me that there might be differences in the brands (mine was a Belkin). So I just looked this one up on Amazon and the reviews were mixed - specifically, one reviewer said he couldn't use it in the Los Angeles area, grr. I will have to decide if it's worth the return- postage risk on this.

Have you checked iLounge? (yes, an iPod forum!!)

http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Real world solutions for what is working in your area!!

I think my brother and & SIL both have jacks in their car, so asking them won't help you. My Dad tends to listen only to traffic when in LA, so his advice wouldn't work either.

But it was night and day for me the 2 brands/types i tried.

eta: I have the Plus version: http://www.monstercable.com/mp3/ipod/transmitters.asp that lets me pick my own stations! There is a GREAT link in the iLounge forum for helping to find a station!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give an update on what I ended up doing. We were headed out of town for the weekend, so I was desperate...and I happened upon this item for $40 at Costco. I had already seen so-so reviews of this while searching Amazon for the items you ladies had mentioned here. But I figured for $40, and with Costco's return policy, what did I have to lose?

It worked really well...not exactly car-stereo hi-fi quality, but we could hear the stories adequately. And the best thing was that we got to listen to the music at our destination with the AC adaptor - the sound was a little better than I get through my Macbook. For the car, I used rechargeable AA batteries which still seem to be going strong after several hours.

It's also pretty cute - Costco had it in pink or black or red. I'm going to stick with this until hubby buys me a new car with a real stereo. :)

And as an aside, did anybody notice that Hank the Cowdog books are now available on Audible.com? They have been adding them a few at a time for the last month - only have 10 up now, most of which we already own on tape or CD, but I'm hoping for more...

Thanks again for the ideas!