Menu

Helping ds be able to protect himself.

He was at the pool today and had a confrontation with another boy. My dd was there and watched closely to be sure this kid wasn't going to do anything. This boy was kicking a girl for no reason, and my ds told him to knock it off.

When he came home and told us, we were a little shocked. Ds is quite small for his age, and VERY shy. While all his friends are at least 2 yrs. older, he's never been in a situation like that before.

For a long time I've wanted to get him into Martial Arts of some kind, but whenever we would visit, ds would hold his ground saying he hated it.

I see sometimes how he appears to feel powerless when a couple of neighbor boys say or do something, and I hate it!

Should I try to find a Self-Defense course, enlist him in boxing?:confused:

FWIW, we are free-range parents once our dc are nearing 10-and he is almost there!:tongue_smilie:

TIA!

Edited by smilesonly

You know, I think most of the time it's really about attitude more than the physical strength anyway. It sounds like your son handled himself really well today -- exactly the way you wish he would with the neighbor boys.

You might look at a one-day self-defense seminar instead of full-on martial arts training. Most people can learn the basics of defending themselves in a relatively short time -- perhaps your son could do that instead of investing so much time in an activity he doesn't like.

Good for him!

I am not sure what you mean by "free-range parents." :confused:

Have you only taken him to the same martial arts school? Perhaps he would like a different style or something better?

Free-range means we let our kids go about the neighborhood-parks and pool, riding bikes, etc..w/o constant supervision.

I didn't try a different school, we know a guy who teaches/owns a school and we just tried taking him at different ages.

You know, I think most of the time it's really about attitude more than the physical strength anyway. It sounds like your son handled himself really well today -- exactly the way you wish he would with the neighbor boys.

You might look at a one-day self-defense seminar instead of full-on martial arts training. Most people can learn the basics of defending themselves in a relatively short time -- perhaps your son could do that instead of investing so much time in an activity he doesn't like.

That's a good idea to look for a one-day class!

My ds is muscle and bone-very, very fit for a dc his age. But, he is a little guy, and so shy. ;) It's funny that you mention attitude, as he's never shown to be aggressive or act like a tough guy. I have heard that sons take after their dads in that way, and dh has never been in a fight. He's a gentle guy that uses his words well.:)

does your son feel he needs a self-defense course?

It sounds to me like he's becoming the type of man I would want my son to be... comes to the defense of those that needs it, but doesn't need to "be a man" around the other guys. He sounds like he's got the self-confidence he needs without being overly confident.

Most martial arts classes for children aren't about self-defense until they hit puberty and their bodies are better able to do the moves necessary. That said, rather than something like tai quown do (sic) or karate, maybe you can find an instructor for jujitsu that teaches protecting oneself from injury rather than offense? My DS recently started a jujitsu program designed for kids and it's great - the instructor works to teach the kids what to do if they get into a playground scuffle - how to fall and not get hurt, how to roll away, how to get up quickly and get into a defensive posture (or RUN like heck).....it's not martial arts like most classes, just ways to protect yourself from getting hurt if you're pushed, if you fall, etc. and DS likes that (he didn't like the other two classes we tried).