Menu

DIY Book Printing/publishing?

Superfly

My DD loves writing and illustrating books. She saw a hardcover book that my neice wrote at school and the teacher sent them to a publishing company that turns them into real books for the kids. Does anyone know if there is a place that does this on a small scale? Or of any home publishing kits? She wants them to be hardcover with binding and all. Thanks!

There are some publishing kits for single books, but we use Bare Books, which are already bound hardcover books that are blank. They have books with no lines, lines with spaces for illustrations, or you can order one with just lines.

This is not nearly as cool as the real deal, but if you wanted to make books with your daughter right away for free (while you wait for Bare Books or something else), you could try making books from grocery bags. We do this all the time, and try to make a new book each week.

http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/27/homemade-books-from-brown-paper-bags/

Thanks for the links! I think we may go with the bare books for everyday and then I'll let her make one special hardcover at the end of the semester. She'll be so excited. She's made so many little books that she goes around to the neighbors and relatives selling them. :001_smile: