Menu

History Pockets

sltress

I am thinking of using the History Pockets for ancient civilizations. My son is in 4th and even though it is for 1-3rd I don't think he will mind b/c we are just starting our first round of 4 year chronological history with creation to Christ. Plus I like the samples that i have seen.

My question is that I see there are separate HP for 4-6th grade that specifically cover Greece, Egypt and Rome individually. Since the Ancient HP has Greece, Rome and Egypt chapters in it do I really need to get the individual ones?

Hope that makes sense. Thx!

Stacey

I haven't used the history pockets but I have used the theme pockets, aimed at the same grade levels. I found them very light in content, more fine motor skills than fact learning. My boys are 5 and 7, and they weren't challenged, but they did enjoy the themes. OTHO, the history one might be great.:001_smile:

The younger one has 1 pocket per culture, and a predictable format-- words to know, a pop-up book, a male and female puppet, etc.

With the older set, where there is an entire book per culture, there is an entire pocket for religion, a pocket for language, a pocket for military, etc. There is a lot more information and variety-- in Rome, we built a model Roman shield, played a game about the Appian way, made an Eagle standard, made a clay tablet and practiced Roman numerals in it, and so forth.

There is a phenomenal amount of cut/color/glue, and my boys (my older one at least) hates that. I pre-cut everything to speed it along and don't require Rembrandt coloring. Then we can focus on the content, which is fine as an add-on to our regular program.

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/