Menu

Please HELP with Grammar dd9

Aludlam

Ok, so grammar and writing (not handwriting) and are the things that have fallen through the cracks. So, I officially am calling this the year of Language Arts. That said thus far dd9 is in GWG3 and WWE2. I think WWE2 hasn't worked for us, b/c I wasn't diligent with it and tried to tweak something that I didn't know how to properly tweak. So, the fix for that is start back where we left off with WWE2 and proceed steadily and surely. I've already got WWE3 on the shelf. I don't think GWG worked b/c I allowed it to be too independent. For the first two levels she could easily use the example on the page to replicate without digesting. So, I thought the fix would be to move on through GWG3 (no examples on the page) with me actually teaching this year. KWIM? But now, I've been looking at FLL. I've always held back from FLL b/c of the scripting. But, maybe that's what we need. I just always figured that grammar was so "easy", why would I need it .... and so here we are today! Anyway, what would you do in my shoes. I feel this is one of the things holding her writing back, which effects all subjects across the board. If we go with FLL, which level? Or stick it out with GWG????

I'd go with FLL3 if you plan to go that route. It should review concepts from 1 and 2, but be less scripted. Another option is The Sentence Family. I'm seriously considering it for grammar for next year, because it's something I think my daughter would enjoy (enjoyable grammar? Who knew?) and would learn from.

If she's just starting to read, no. She should focus her energies on learning to read rather than splitting it between reading and grammar. You can do grammar later without much trouble. You don't want to have her struggle through reading because she was bogged down learning the parts of a sentence.

Just because I love to mix it up a bit, have you considered doing Writing Tales 1 for both grammar & writing (instead of WWE3 & FLL3)?

It is scripted. It doesn't have as much copywork/dictation as WWE3 (really, no dictation - and only one day of copywork every two weeks), but it covers that level of grammar well & gently in an integrated manner while teaching writing by retelling a story.