Menu

AAS level 1 compound word step

Hi AAS users or past users,

We are giving AAS another go and are on lesson 22 I believe in level 1. Is the student just supposed to know what words are compound and what ones are seperate words? Or at this point should I slow down if they don't know if it is or not? Are they supposed to memorize the word lists? Up until now we have just been speeding through at one or two steps a day. My child knows how to spell the words but isn't sure if he should write them as compound or single syllable words. Maybe we are supposed to stay on this step until the words are memorized?

Thanks for the help in advance.

It's taught again in level 2 to review, so for me I decided to move on so we can make progress. I happened to have Brainquest and Jumpstart workbooks with pages on compound words to supplement. My dd did think during that lesson that she could take any word and put it together. For now, I just focused on the basic introduction and will assess again at the beginning of our next school year.

Compound words can be tricky. I would tell him if he's not sure whether it's a compound word or not. You can drill with the word cards visually--have him read each word and note that it's a compound word. If it helps, talk about how the compound word is different than the two words separately (ie, "blacktop" is not just any top that is black, but refers to a specific material--and so on).

HTH some! Merry :-)

Compound words can be tricky. I would tell him if he's not sure whether it's a compound word or not. You can drill with the word cards visually--have him read each word and note that it's a compound word. If it helps, talk about how the compound word is different than the two words separately (ie, "blacktop" is not just any top that is black, but refers to a specific material--and so on).

HTH some! Merry :-)

Helps tremendously! Thanks Merry I was hoping you would chime in :) If it wasn't for you we wouldn't be giving AAS another chance.

On a funny side note I still have trouble deciding if a word is a compound word or not lol..