Menu

Enrollling a 4th grader in Duke TIP--no school id #?

Halcyon

Hi-

I have been searching the Duke site, but for the life of me can't find out how to apply as a homeschooled student. When I go to the FaQ, it links me to a page for 7th grade applications.

Has anyone enrolled their 4th grader in Duke TIP, and if so, how did you bypass the school ID # requirement?

I was browsing the Duke TIP website too and was a little curious about the independent learning classes... There is a lot of information on the website, but weirdly I still don't really understand how to sign up, what tests are required, whether it's only available to kids in certain states... I did find, though, that incoming 4th graders can't register until December.

:willy_nilly: Why didn't you tell me about these classes?! That MathQuest class looks SO neat. And, the science classes for 4th grade teach the Scientific Method. I was going to teach the Scientific Method. :svengo:

If you find out more details about this, pleeease let us know. The math sample with the rectangles and prime numbers looked very cool.

The ID is:

999999 HH

IMHO it was not worth the money to do TIPS. We will for the 7th grade search, b/c I was told it could lead to scholarships and neat opportunities. But there really isn't much for the younger kids.

Did you take any of the independent study classes, by any chance? Could you give us a review?

I was browsing the Duke TIP website too and was a little curious about the independent learning classes... There is a lot of information on the website, but weirdly I still don't really understand how to sign up, what tests are required, whether it's only available to kids in certain states... I did find, though, that incoming 4th graders can't register until December.

The kids have to have a high score on a standardized test. It was either a 96 or 97% on any subtest, I think. We used our SAT tests to qualify. Duke does the southern region, but I believe different universities sponsor it in other areas.

:willy_nilly: Why didn't you tell me about these classes?! That MathQuest class looks SO neat. And, the science classes for 4th grade teach the Scientific Method. I was going to teach the Scientific Method. :svengo:

If you find out more details about this, pleeease let us know. The math sample with the rectangles and prime numbers looked very cool.

Where is the Science class that teaches scientific method? that sounds up our alley.

http://www.tip.duke.edu/node/157

I think this was it! It looked like they had classes you could buy for independent study. Guest price $64...so I'm guessing you can buy their class without any affiliation/testing.

I was looking at this, too. http://www.tip.duke.edu/node/162

That first one looks very good. My son would love that . After looking at the pretest, I wonder if all that material is covered in the course itself?

Edited by Halcyon