Menu

How would you display/store money from different countries?

We are collecting money (coins and paper bills) from other countries and for the life of me I can't think of a creative way to keep them. It would be nice to see both sides so I thought of photo album sleeves but the coins would be flying all over the place. Any numismatists out there than can give me suggestions. thanks.

My parents have a really inexpensive coffee table that had just enough of a lip that they had a piece of glass fitted to go on top and the best of their collection sits underneath on a piece of felt. It is really a simple, inexpensive solution and the table is a great conversation piece.

Jo

We are collecting money (coins and paper bills) from other countries and for the life of me I can't think of a creative way to keep them. It would be nice to see both sides so I thought of photo album sleeves but the coins would be flying all over the place. Any numismatists out there than can give me suggestions. thanks.

Oops. I see you want to display both sides. That was a tough decision for my mom to decide which side was most attractive- I suppose you could rotate periodically.

Jo

If you want to collect for value, I have no idea, but if it is just for interest, you may consider lamination. My brother came back from China with some low-value bills. He laminated them and gave them to kids for Christmas to use as bookmarks. We have a few just sitting on the table in our entry. He did say that the guy at the copy shop where he went to laminate them gave him a lot of grief about laminating money. My brother didn't care. He wanted the bills to be used and enjoyed rather than sitting in keepsake box somewhere.

For the four or five interesting foreign bills we have, we bought glass picture frames (where the picture, or in this case the bill, is pressed between two pieces of glass). They were at Linens & Things or Bed Bath & Beyond or somesuch, and I need to find them again because we have two new ones to add to the collection! :)

Interesting coins we've always just had in a nice dish so you can paw through them. LOL