Menu

Sonlight D or Trail Guide Paths of Exploration??

Maeintx

I know these programs are very different. I own both.

I purchased POE used thinking we would use it this fall for our boys 9 and 10. It looks great but I'm concerned about the spelling/grammar/etc. So, in a moment of panic I ordered Sonlight Core D IG and the complete Sonlight D Science. (The boys thrive on science and we'll do this either way.)

We've used GWG, SWS or AAS (depending on child) and I'd like to continue with those since ds seems to enjoy them and retains what we've learned so far. If we do, I've considered adding WWW. But..I'm not sure that would mesh with POE very well. Seems we could do SL easier and those programs.

Has anyone used both programs? Pros/cons ??

Ds10 is a natural speller, retains everything type of kid, enjoys reading. Ds9 struggles with all things related to school. I would probably use a lower level of Sonlight's suggested reading levels for him and continue with AAS for him.

This is our second year at home. I asked on the yahoo group for TGTL but the answer was from the author so it was biased about their spelling/grammar. And I know if I ask over at SL I'll get the same sort of answer there. FWIW- 9 yo likes arts/crafts type stuff but 10 yo would prefer to just skip those type of activities- which I understand SL is not heavy on.

Suggestions, ideas?? I almost feel like I need someone to just tell me what to do and then step away from curriculum for a bit. Last year we did MFW-ECC and while we enjoyed it, dh wants them to have American Hx next year. I had MFW Exp to 1850 but the pace was too fast and since we did not do Adventures, I felt like they would be missing too much.

Edited by Maeintx

I know how you feel. I really like Trail Guide to Learning! I really wish I would feel comfortable using it as is with my 12 year old, but I just can't. We are accelerating through the Phonics Road and adding that on top of the Language Arts in TGTL is just way too much. We tried that last year with POE. So I've decided that we are not going to use the LAs portion of TGTL POS. We will skip it entirely except for the Copywork/Dictation and Reading. I am rescheduling everything because it moves much too slow for us as is.

I'm debating on whether we will use the Science in Paths of Settlement or use something else for Science.

I've used SL Core 1+2. There is a lot more reading scheduled in SL than in POE. In fact I think the pace of the books in POE is very slow! I can't tolerate reading half of a chapter a day, but other people might appreciate the pace. So that's something to consider when comparing the two.

I think it would be much easier to add your own LAs to SL than trying to fit it in with POE, unless you are willing to skip the LAs altogether in POE. I know it's not easy to skip things in POE because a lot of the History and Science is tied in with the LAs.

I'm not sure if that was very helpful. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. :)

Edited by mom&nana

I know how you feel. I really like Trail Guide to Learning! I really wish I would feel comfortable using it as is with my 12 year old, but I just can't. We are accelerating through the Phonics Road and adding that on top of the Language Arts in TGTL is just way too much. We tried that last year with POE. So I've decided that we are not going to use the LAs portion of TGTL POS. We will skip it entirely except for the Copywork/Dictation and Reading. I am rescheduling everything because it moves much too slow for us as is.

I'm debating on whether we will use the Science in Paths of Settlement or use something else for Science.

I've used SL Core 1+2. There is a lot more reading scheduled in SL than in POE. In fact I think the pace of the books in POE is very slow! I can't tolerate reading half of a chapter a day, but other people might appreciate the pace. So that's something to consider when comparing the two.

I think it would be much easier to add your own LAs to SL than trying to fit it in with POE, unless you are willing to skip the LAs altogether in POE. I know it's not easy to skip things in POE because a lot of the History and Science is tied in with the LAs.

I'm not sure if that was very helpful. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. :)

See.. I've thought about just using POE as is, forgetting all the other LA we've been using and then adding in just SL reading for my 10yo. POE seems slow in reading for my 10-yo but honestly, just right for my 9-yo. And they love when I read aloud but that seems lacking in POE as well.

I really like POE, I'm just really concerned about a long-term plan. I do like the dictation and copywork parts of POE. My dh really likes the feel of POE. I'm just struggling letting go of LA, I guess.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Edited by Maeintx

You're welcome! :)

Actually, there is a read-aloud in POE that is meant for the teacher to read, but it's just like the readers..a few pages a day. In the first unit of POE, your child will read from Meet Christopher Columbus aloud to you. The read aloud for the teacher is the Sower Series "Christopher Columbus" biography.

There is a lot more read-aloud books in SL. If you've already found LAs that you like, I wouldn't change or drop it until you are sure that you would want to use TGTL as is and continue with the series.

Another thing to consider is whether you want chronological history. TGTL doesn't cover American history in chronological order and it leaves some things out.

SL Core D and E ( I think I have the right letters) will cover American history in chronological order. It will also cover quite a bit that TGTL won't. TGTL is set up in unit study fashion, where as SL American covers a more typical study of American History.

You've definitely given me a lot to think about as far as tweaking the LA, etc.

Interesting on the TGTL Yahoo group she posted to have the younger child read one book and the older child read the other book a loud. Maybe I miss understood that portion.

I wish TGTL rwas not such a new program. It's hard to find reviews, etc. and what I"m finding is that most peopel tweak it.

Thanks!

Interesting on the TGTL Yahoo group she posted to have the younger child read one book and the older child read the other book a loud. Maybe I miss understood that portion.

That is interesting. I never thought of it that way. I'm using it with only one child though and was following the directions in the book.

You could do it that way and add the Middle School Supplement readers for your read-aloud if you want.

In POS, there are two readers scheduled for the student to read silently and one for them to read-aloud to the teacher (this is for students at the highest level). So it's transitioning the student to do all the reading. We don't really like it that way, both my dd and I enjoy our read-aloud time. I think she should be reading some books but both of us like to have at least one book that I'm reading aloud.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone could answer my question regarding the reading. Is it possible to supplement with other readers for kids that do well with reading? My daughter loves to read and I can't see her reading half a chapter and not wanting more. Can I add other books that are not POE books but ones that correlate to the unit study we are on?