Menu

MPH Science: what order???

I'm going to be using MPH Science 3/4 next year, but I don't know if I need to do them in any certain order. I'm going to spring for the TM and I noticed it has the books listed in a certain order (Diversity, Cycles, Systems, Interactions, Energy). Should they be done in that order or does it matter??? I've searched for MPH threads (and gotten a lot of good info), but can't find the answer to this. TIA!

ETA: Do I need the More Notes book or is that just an extra? What about the tests and the homework books?

Edited by Mom in High Heels

I would go in the order of the TG. I think some of the later books are going to be more interesting than the earlier books, but they do sometimes refer to things from earlier books. Also, if you use the tests, they have some tests that are over multiple books.

I think More Notes is not necessary (and I'm the sort who gets every book). It has a couple of additional experiments, some extra websites, and more information for the teacher. The info in the TG is enough. More Notes goes a bit beyond that, so it depends on how much background info you want.

We do the text and activity book (with websites and books suggested in the TG and from More Notes). I supplement with books from the library and some videos. Then we do the Homework (referring to the text if necessary). It's at a level where it's basically reinforcement of the material.

Next, I have my son do HOTS, without looking back at anything. It's definitely at a higher level.

Then I have him take the test (if there is one) for the section. The tests do add something IMO. They are more difficult than the HW, not as difficult as the HOTS, but they do require more thought at a higher level than just regurgitation of facts. (And I don't use tests for Singapore math.)

The More Notes book is aimed at you and, unless you feel like you need more background information, is the one book in the series you can probably do without.

I don't think you get the full benefit of the program if you leave out the homework, tests and HOTS books. Without those parts it is really just good science information.

We did do it in order. If you have the teacher's manual, it just seems easier. I guess because we did it in order, nothing ever jumped out at me as needing previous chapters to help with the current one.

:bigear: I've been slowly (over 4 different orders), gathering up all the MPH books I think I'll need. Each time I think I have enough to start, I think I need yet another component. I am definitely one of those that usually buys all the books of a program. I have everything now except the Teacher's Guide and the More Notes, which seems so expensive. So I have all the textbooks, activity books, plus Homework, HOTS, and Tests.

I'm now thinking of also splurging on the Teacher's Guide. Thanks to everyone here I'm feeling pretty safe leaving More Notes out.

I'm starting this with ds in the Fall. To answer the OP, yes, I would do it in this order. More Notes is definitely not necessary, as someone else said. Everything is in the TM, IMHO. Satori, I bought the TM used, which saved me half the cost. I don't have the tests. The Homework and HOTS should tell me plenty whether or not ds has understood the material. To me, it would be overkill to add tests too. I want to keep this simple. We'll do half hour every day, maybe two blocks one day. I would like to add living books for ds to read independently. He reads an hour a day, may as well include some science books.

I don't have the tests. The Homework and HOTS should tell me plenty whether or not ds has understood the material. To me, it would be overkill to add tests too.

I don't think the tests are just to see whether the material is understood. They're kind of in between the HW and the HOTS. Yes, it does check whether material is understood, but it also checks whether the student can go further with the concepts and synthesize the topics.

I have been very impressed with the tests and see them as part of the learning experience as well - not just a check off.

Again, with math, I don't use the tests except for one at the end of each book. Science is different and these tests are really worth it IMO.

I don't think the tests are just to see whether the material is understood. They're kind of in between the HW and the HOTS. Yes, it does check whether material is understood, but it also checks whether the student can go further with the concepts and synthesize the topics.

I have been very impressed with the tests and see them as part of the learning experience as well - not just a check off.

Again, with math, I don't use the tests except for one at the end of each book. Science is different and these tests are really worth it IMO.

Oh man. I should have gotten the tests instead of the HOTS then. Not enough time to do everything. We're trying to do Science every day for thirty minutes a day. Since I didn't, HOTS will have to do for "tests".

Oh man. I should have gotten the tests instead of the HOTS then. Not enough time to do everything. We're trying to do Science every day for thirty minutes a day. Since I didn't, HOTS will have to do for "tests".

I bet you could easily work in tests. I have the texts, WB, HOTS and HW. I do science daily with my son and are usually done in 20 minutes. After this thread I'm thinking I'll pick up the tests when I order the next books (we've done Cycles and are doing Diversity.)

I like the idea of using Delta Science modules. I'm planning on using one or two of the Science In A Nutshell kits. The other reason I didn't order the tests is that I do a more CM style, and figured sweating through the HOTS in itself would help me determine if he got it.