Menu

Anyone use A Beka Academy (or Bob Jones) DVD's for 8th grade?

Hi. I would love some feedback from anyone who has used A Beka DVD's for 8th grade (or similar grades). I am thinking about using it for English and History next year. We have been using A Beka's grammar and spelling, but I have always taught it--or should I say "given a quick explanation and assigned pages!" I think having a teacher on the DVD give lots of explanation and review might be helpful as the work gets more challenging. If you have used it, what did you think? How was the literature component, also?

I am also considering using A Beka on DVD for 8th grade American History. I googled for reviews, and apparently the teacher, Mr. McBride, has quite a few fans out there, who say he is their favorite teacher! If your kids did have him for history, what did they think? Is there any discussion in his class, or is it all lecture (as it appeared in the short sample I saw online.) Is there any critical thinking type questioning, or activites?

I also posted (on the general curriculum board) a question about Bob Jones's history on DVD. If you happen to have experience with their 8th grade history on distance learning, I'd love opinions and feedback. The teacher on BJU's sample appeared to just be repeating what was in the book. I want a teacher that will add to the book, and make history come alive! I also am considering using their Life Science on DVD. How was that?

Yes, I am also considering mix and matching curriculums--I know it is more expensive that way, but I just want to get the best fit for us in the various subjects. Thanks so much!

Edited by Phyllis in MD

Hi. I would love some feedback from anyone who has used A Beka DVD's for 8th grade (or similar grades). I am thinking about using it for English and History next year. We have been using A Beka's grammar and spelling, but I have always taught it--or should I say "given a quick explanation and assigned pages!" I think having a teacher on the DVD give lots of explanation and review might be helpful as the work gets more challenging. If you have used it, what did you think? How was the literature component, also?

I am also considering using A Beka on DVD for 8th grade American History. I googled for reviews, and apparently the teacher, Mr. McBride, has quite a few fans out there, who say he is their favorite teacher! If your kids did have him for history, what did they think? Is there any discussion in his class, or is it all lecture (as it appeared in the short sample I saw online.) Is there any critical thinking type questioning, or activites?

I also posted (on the general curriculum board) a question about Bob Jones's history on DVD. If you happen to have experience with their 8th grade history on distance learning, I'd love opinions and feedback. The teacher on BJU's sample appeared to just be repeating what was in the book. I want a teacher that will add to the book, and make history come alive! I also am considering using their Life Science on DVD. How was that?

Yes, I am also considering mix and matching curriculums--I know it is more expensive that way, but I just want to get the best fit for us in the various subjects. Thanks so much!

I have not used Abeka DVD but am using BJU distance learning for History. If you look at the entire sample, you will see that there is so much more to the lesson then a teacher lecturing. There are very well acted out scenes from history, interviews with historical figures and movie/documentary/film clips to show a particular time. You also have actors portraying everyday people in time periods discussing a problem of the day. This helps the history come alive. I only wish I had used these with all of my older children and not just the BJU textbooks (which are excellent by themselves, but icing on a cake makes it taste even better).

Thanks, Down-the Rabbit Hole! I am glad to know that it has worked well for your kids. Did your kids find it frustrating if the teacher repeated the textbook verbatum, or did she not do that too much for 8th grade American history. How often do they have the skits, etc. ? Do they actually visit historical sites, too (like a virtual field trip?) Thanks so much!

I have used BJU Distance Learning in parts for the last 4 years, usually for Math and Science. We are doing Life Science this year (started it in Feb) and my dd loves it. She is 14, prior to this science was just an afterthought for my kids until high school. Realizing that she could do the lessons on her own schedule (I work part time) and not have to wait for me to start the lesson is a God-send.

As for History, I will be using the World Studies program for the first time on DVD this fall. From the samples I have seen of it, there is plenty of non-lecture material... such as interviews, skits, and field trips.

If I can assist you in anything, please feel free to email me and I would love to help. (I am a BJU Rep).

Thanks, Pammy. I am glad to hear that your daughter likes the life science. My daughter has been wanting to do more with science-esp. more experiments. (I try, but they never seem to work right or we don't have the right equipment! I would much rather read a history book, LOL.) Is she able to pretty much watch the lesson and then do everything on her own (experiments, assignments, etc?- some of them look kind of complicated, but then maybe the teacher on the video explains it all step by step?

Thanks

make her do the experiments at home, she just watches the DVD teacher do them. When she gets to high school, I will have to start having her do the experiments too. I know I shouldn't be so lenient about this, but since Science isn't actually a requirement in my state until high school, that is what I have done. Now for my ten yr. old dd who wants to be a Vet, she will be doing more Science because she is very interested in it. I plan to use the DVD's with her next year too.

Thanks!