Menu

Great name for a new business?

Hi there,

I've started work as an independent contractor for a nonprofit firm. It happened on a bit of a whim -- I responded to an email from my son's soccer league saying that the umbrella youth club was looking for a bookkeeper -- and they hired me. I just came off a 3 year stint as the Treasurer/bookkeeper of my children's preschool, so it's good fit for me for now, especially since I do most of the work from home. It's also nice to be paid for basically the same work. ;-) My background is in finance (I hold the CFA designation), and eventually I might like to do work that is more finance-related.

After speaking with my attorney, I've decided to set up a limited liability co. Now I need to come up with a name. I'm thinking of using [last name] Financial Services, LLC. Then it would be applicable for other work that I do. But then I thought that it would be nice to have a "meaningful" business name.

Thoughts?

Sorry - I like "[last name] Financial Services, LLC". I hate companies with names that you can't figure out what business they are in. You can always enter a dba if you come up with something better later on (DH suggested "Ido Bookkeeping", but he has a funny sense of humor....)

Go with the last name in your business name, it makes it easier with a lot of the paperwork and for people to identify you with your company.

I own an engineering company and it's LASTNAME Engineers, LLC. Not glamorous but everyone knows whose company it is. Good luck with you new business adventure.

Go with the last name in your business name, it makes it easier with a lot of the paperwork and for people to identify you with your company.

I own an engineering company and it's LASTNAME Engineers, LLC. Not glamorous but everyone knows whose company it is. Good luck with you new business adventure.

Thank you!!

Thanks, AK. I appreciate your comments, and will probably end up doing just that. Love your DH's quirky sense of humor, too, but I'm too traditional to do something like that for a business. BTW, what does dba stand for?

DBA - "doing business as". There are rules and regulations (usually) in each state for filing for one. It let's you run another business using the same tax ids, etc, or change a name without having to change all of your tax paperwork.