Menu

Killgallon (problems) Question

Aubrey

I love the *idea* ... but...

here's what we've been doing: Lesson 1, 4 sentences. Day 1--copywork, kids copy the 1st 2-3 sentences. Day 2--dictation, kids write the 3rd or 4th sentence from dictation. Day 3--chunking, kids add the chunk marks & we discuss. We do #4 orally if they haven't written it out.

So ea lesson is taking a week to get through (we use the other 2 days for MCT grammar). It's...exhausting for what it is. I keep thinking I'm making it harder than it needs to be, but I'm not sure what to do differently. :001_huh:

If you use Killgallon as a source for copywork and dictation, then it will take you longer than 1 semester to get through the book. It's not necessarily a bad idea (I'd actually been planning to get our Bravewriter "French Dictation" sentences from Killgallon) but that wasn't the way the program was designed.

DD is currently working through Killgallon Grammar for Middle School 1 section (~1/2 page to 1 page) twice per week. So those 4 sentences would be one day's worth of a Killgallon lesson.

I would show my daughter the sentence in the book. Some of the activities we would do orally (matching activities and such) and she would just write out her imitation sentences on a sheet of notebook paper.

Sometimes if I wanted the original sentence on the notebook paper to show comparison, I would handwrite the original myself and then let her handwrite the imitation.

You could try something like that.

Or you could let them type it if they find that quicker/easier.

Or you could shorten it a bit by having them only write out say two imitations and do the other two orally (I know a lot of times they have to do like 4 at once and some are pretty long)!

Other than write in the book or make a million copies, I couldn't figure out how to get the sentences in front of the kids. :D

You know. That is not a bad way to have them practice printing. I would never have thought of it in that way.

Kudos!

Edit: Being that you are using MCT, I would split the book over two years. This gives you 4 years to complete the elementary levels. I split Sentence Composing into chunks and matched the POS of SC with RS English. Something to consider. :)

Edited by ChrissySC

You know. That is not a bad way to have them practice printing. I would never have thought of it in that way.

Kudos!

Edit: Being that you are using MCT, I would split the book over two years. This gives you 4 years to complete the elementary levels. I split Sentence Composing into chunks and matched the POS of SC with RS English. Something to consider. :)

LOL--thanks, but I hate it! I'm not worried about how fast we finish it--I didn't know it was meant to be for a semester, & I scheduled it for a year. If it takes longer, that's fine.

My main problem is that I've always hated copywork, & so now I hate Killgallon. And it seems like we spend SO much time on the copywork portion that...the chunking is like an afterthought, if that.

I guess I'll give it a little longer. It only adds up to 30-40 min/week, & the kids, while obviously not loving it, haven't complained (yet). :tongue_smilie:

LOL--thanks, but I hate it! I'm not worried about how fast we finish it--I didn't know it was meant to be for a semester, & I scheduled it for a year. If it takes longer, that's fine.

My main problem is that I've always hated copywork, & so now I hate Killgallon. And it seems like we spend SO much time on the copywork portion that...the chunking is like an afterthought, if that.

I guess I'll give it a little longer. It only adds up to 30-40 min/week, & the kids, while obviously not loving it, haven't complained (yet). :tongue_smilie:

I put a page protector over the page and have my son write in the book with a wet erase marker. It saves the book and doesn't require copywork. Other than that if you are a fast at typing I would type out the sentences and print them off for your child to use.