Menu

Math people, help? Math decisions...

Hedgehogs4

DS 9 will be in the 5th grade this year. He is naturally strong in math, but he is lazy, does not like to show his work, and does needs work on challenging word problems.

We had used MUS until 4th grade when the author started introducing unconventional problem-solving stuff such as upside-down multiplication. I just didn't get that or see the need, but then again, I'm a really non-math person.

Last year we did MM 4A and B, with just a little finish this summer. While the concept of how she teaches is great, there is not enough help for me when there is a really challenging word problem. There is not guidance for me to help him set up the word problems or work it out myself. I can do it for myself, but I need help with the actual teaching.

I am considering going back to MUS because of the teaching help, but I'm not sure--the reason I left was because I was afraid there were going to be gaps, or there wasn't enough challenging word problem-solving. (He is also working through LOF, and reviews old concepts on Khan academy, but these are not his core. I'm looking for the core curriculum)

Help or suggestions? It is my heart's desire that he really live up to his potential in math, but this is the one area I do not feel very equipped to know the best approach.

My biggest sugggestion is to not keep switching programs.

As far as not showing his work, is he getting the correct answers? If he is getting the correct answers and he can explain to you how he arrived at that answer, then I wouldn't be too concerned. Whenever he misses a problem, have him redo the problem showing every. little. step. Eventually he will either start showing his work initially or he will become very accurate at working problems in his head. If he insists on not showing his work now, because he is arriving at the correct answer, explain to him that there will come a time or a problem that will require enough steps, thought, etc. that it will be necessary to show his work and that he needs to be open to that.

You said that your ds is lazy. It may be that he, instead of feeling lazy, feels smarter when he can do the work in his head. If he is finishing his work quickly and accurately, then I wouldn't worry too much. If he is truly being lazy, that is a character issue not a curriculum issue. Either way- don't hop from program to program. Program hopping is much more likely to cause gaps than sticking with a single product all the way through.

That said- if you have a strong preference for MUS over MM, then use it and stay with it. You are the teacher and it is important that you feel comfortable teaching. There are plenty of supplements for challenging word problems. (But definitely don't go looking for a different, third core program outside the two he has already used. Changing programs means a change of sequence and an increased chance of gaps.)

HTH-

Mandy

Showing work, at least some of the time, is very important. Many students who intuitively understand math concepts can get correct answers without learning the correct process, then when they get to higher levels where the process is required, they struggle.

Mandy, I agree with you on the "third core program" for math. What do you recommend for challenging word problems?

If you use MUS as your core, you could always use the Math Mammoth topical series where you could pull more challenging problems from topics that line up with MUS. If this sounds stressful, maybe Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics would provide some support for you while walking your son through problem solving.

HTH-

Mandy

Thanks! Since I already have the MM and like it and use it, I'll stick with that. I just ordered Epsilon for him in spite of the fact that he has gone through MM fractions. Working it from both sides (they are such different approaches) can't hurt, I think. Between those and LOF, I'm probably worrying too much over nothing.

On the word problems question, if you don't find what you need in your current material, you could look at Singapore's "Challenging Word Problems" workbooks. They are excellent. I am using those along with a couple of other Singapore workbooks as supplements to our math program.

On the word problems question, if you don't find what you need in your current material, you could look at Singapore's "Challenging Word Problems" workbooks. They are excellent. I am using those along with a couple of other Singapore workbooks as supplements to our math program.

We use Singapore CWP too additionally to i-EXCEL Heuristic and Model Approach ( we like it very much). We also use Olympiad Math Trainer, which has detailed solutions to all problems in a book.