Menu

Can I use Killgallon's Sentence Composing for Elementary as my writing component?

sagira

First some background information. I have the following planned for ds7 (by then 8) when he starts in the Fall for what we call English:

Serl's Primary Language Lessons

Wheeler's Elementary Speller

If I add Killgallon's Sentence Composing for the Elementary Years, would this be considered writing? I already own this. I like the looks of WWE, but it seems like more copywork/dictation, which we are doing plenty of in both the above mentioned programs. I'm second guessing myself. Third Year is going up a notch IMO, and I want to do it right :)

TIA!

Edited by sagira

Is he familiar with the grammar covered in Killgallon? If not, you may find it beneficial to hold off for a bit. 8 is on the young side for Killgallon to begin with, and having BTDT with a young student who wasn't familiar with the grammar, I wouldn't recommend it. It was a real struggle to get through because she didn't really understand the structure of the sentences she was attempting to imitate. After completing MCT's "town" level, however, she's finding Killgallon Grammar for Middle School significantly easier.

My younger students will complete MCT's "island" level before I start them on Killgallon. I think they'll get much more out of it that way.

Hmm.. I was thinking the same thing myself looking at the Sentence Composing book. He may get more out of it next year. All he's had so far is gentle grammar in the form of PLL.

Should I get WWE for writing then instead? How many times a week do I do WWE? Is it copywork/dictation/narration overkill? (I also do narrations, copywork and dictation in History as well as the English programs PLL and ES.) Does he actually get to write something himself, or is it all copywork and dictation? In the sample WWE 3 I saw some grammar explained as well. Is this true as a whole?

Sorry for the questions bomb!

I know every kid is different, but just wanted to throw out there that I did SCFES this past year with my daughter...she was 10 and in 5th grade and it required a decent amount of handholding and prompting throughout nearly the entire year (she could do the matching and stuff like that independently but often had a hard time with composing her own sentences). She didn't love doing it. I think if I'd have tried it when she was only 8 it would have been a horrible flop, we'd both have been miserable.

Thanks! Any good writing program for this age group I could do with ds8 once a week? I have Voyages in English, but I remember reading SWB is not a fan of the writing component.. Anything else besides WWE? I don't want to spend much at all. We are using PLL, ES, and narrating across the curriculum.

Should I get WWE for writing then instead? How many times a week do I do WWE? Is it copywork/dictation/narration overkill? (I also do narrations, copywork and dictation in History as well as the English programs PLL and ES.) Does he actually get to write something himself, or is it all copywork and dictation? In the sample WWE 3 I saw some grammar explained as well. Is this true as a whole?

Sorry for the questions bomb!

As someone who has Writing with Ease, let me answer a few of these questions:

Writing with Ease was written to coordinate with First Language Lessons, so the "grammar" components are meant to match up with that program.

I would highly recommend buying the "Instructor Text," NOT the workbooks, particularly if you already have copywork/dictation and narration set up for your other classes. Then you can just follow the instructions from the teacher's guide to make sure your copywork is long enough and to augment those narration passages for your son. (I.e., ask him questions about the passage if you're at level one, and then do the "What's one thing you remember?" or start working toward finding the main point at level two, etc.) Feel free to ignore the "grammar" suggestions in WWE and stick with the ones from Primary Language Lessons instead. (PLL has copywork, right?) It'll be a lot cheaper that way, and you will neither feel guilty about your son not getting some of the work done in one or more programs nor overload him with tedious work.

(A lot of people have pointed out that Ms. Bauer doesn't always follow her own recommendations for length, particularly for those narration passages. So, if a passage you've picked out is a little longer than suggested, don't worry about it.)

I did level one of WWE with just the instructor's text for the second half or so this year. For next year, since I'm dropping the other composition program I had been using, (extremely unsuccessfully, may I add, except for its copywork,) I've gotten the Level Two Workbook. I think it really all depends on the teacher, and for someone who likes adapting things to what they're reading already, or who is combining programs (as you appear to be), the instructor's text really is all you need.

That last post was a labor of love. I think the WWE text is exactly what I need. I want philosophy in there as well, and it seems the text has that covered. Thank you! :grouphug:

Edited by sagira

Thanks! Any good writing program for this age group I could do with ds8 once a week?

I really like EPS' The Paragraph Book series. You don't need the TM as it's geared towards classroom use. Each book has 12-15 lessons, so you could get through two of them in one semester if you do 1 lesson per week. TPB is designed for remedial use in middle school but I think it deserves a wider audience. It's perfect for kids working at about a 3rd or 4th grade level who are working on learning to write paragraphs.

I really like EPS' The Paragraph Book series. You don't need the TM as it's geared towards classroom use. Each book has 12-15 lessons, so you could get through two of them in one semester if you do 1 lesson per week. TPB is designed for remedial use in middle school but I think it deserves a wider audience. It's perfect for kids working at about a 3rd or 4th grade level who are working on learning to write paragraphs.

I had never heard of these before! Thank you, Crimson Wife. They look interesting, and as the student writing right away. Off to research, compare, and contrast :auto: