Menu

curriculum plan to submit to review organization?

MeganW

I'm in SC. There are 3 options under the law. Almost everyone chooses Option 3. Most people in my area use one accountability association, and as part of registering, I have to send in "each child's curriculum plan for the year".

I really don't want to get off to a bad start by not sending in exactly what I should, but I also know that these are kids who have already been held back for a year, and so are just now starting kindergarten, and have some other issues, so we may or may not finish what I hope to.

So I sorta feel like the less I say, the better, as I then have to send in an end of year report and I don't want to show that we didn't do everything I had said I would.

"You have three options to legally homeschoolin the state of South Carolina. You must register under one of them or you will be acting outside of the law and may be brought up on truancy charges.

• Option 1: Gaining approval of your local school district and following their directions. Some of which are to school a minimum of 4 ½ hours each day along with statewide testing. Section 59-65-40 of SC law. Virtual Public Schools fall under Option 1.
  • Option 2: Membership in SCAIS- South Carolina Association of Independent Schools operates under Section 59-65-45 of SC law. This is a wonderful but expensive association. They do require some testing and more intense accountability to their organization than do associations operating under Option 3.
  • Option 3: Membership in an accountability association, such as Faithful Scholars, which are patterned after SCAIHS but place greater trust and responsibility on the parent-teacher in the areas of teaching, testing and record keeping."

I would keep it very generic unless the umbrella requests details. Something along the lines of: "Language Arts to include reading, spelling, vocabulary, penmanship, and composition [or whichever components you are doing]; Mathematics; Science; Social Studies to include history and geography; Art; Music; Physical Education; [any other subjects you are studying like Religion or foreign language]"

I would keep it very generic unless the umbrella requests details. Something along the lines of: "Language Arts to include reading, spelling, vocabulary, penmanship, and composition [or whichever components you are doing]; Mathematics; Science; Social Studies to include history and geography; Art; Music; Physical Education; [any other subjects you are studying like Religion or foreign language]"

This, which is, BTW, what "curriculum" really means. IOW, don't provide the names of textbooks/workbooks/etc. unless specifically asked for them.

I am in SC as well, but not a part of that particular accountability group.

At the end of the year, I submit a form to my acct. group with courses studied(i.e. Math/Language Arts, etc). And I put it down just like that-not Saxon Math or RSO Life Science. All other records-plans and portfolio-are kept as our records. I believe the form I submit at the year to my group constitutes the progress report, as it ask for for grades or equivalent.

From what I can tell from the Faithful Scholars website, this is just something they want-it is not a legal requirement of SC. Now, SC will want you to have those records of what you did, but this is only for that group. If you want to just write general subjects put that down. If you are feeling generous, you can write down some things that you want to.

I hope that clears it up a bit. You could always email the group and ask if they want something specific and raise your concerns with them. I would bet they would be pretty understanding of it, and if not, at least you know before you join.

Thanks! I do actually HAVE full plans, I just want to be free to change direction midstream based on how things are going, so I hate to give anymore info than necessary.

Thank you so much for that wording - copying it word for word!!

I'm in SC too, but we are w/ SCAIHS and I do have to list the name of the particular resources/publication/grade level/ etc. for each subject. But I have could do something like , "child x will study science through the use of library books on science related topics of interest. She will participate in nature walks, etc. " I also have the ability to make changes and submit that ---so for example when ds began w/ one math program but it wasn't working for his learning style I simply submitted a change of plan form.

I didn't look at dc's ages - but you mentioned Kindergarten. Are they 5 or 6? I ask bec in SC compulsory attendance isn't required until age 6.