Menu

Rainbow science in one year?

Jonibee

We are planning doing The Rainbow this year. We are spreading it out over two years, because I don't want to do it every single day, and when I plan out the schedule, we have quite a few other subjects that take up a lot of time. For history, we are doing Notgrass's America the Beautiful, which is 5 lessons per week, so doing science every day on top of LA and Math, plus electives is a lot.

However, there are about just enough labs to do Rainbow every day of the school year- 180 day school year, roughly 120 lessons, 1 lab every two lessons so approximately 60 labs for the year- it probably could be done. You will want to make sure that the comprehension is not lagging because from what I understand, the content is very deep even though the lessons are short. 6-7 hours per week on science is a lot, that puts you at 2 days a week spending 2 hours per day. I would say to just prayerfully consider the work load, and your child's learning style, and all of your other subjects and make the best decision after that. My son is also going in 8th grade, and we are giving 2 high school credits for The Rainbow. There is a document about giving high school credits for it on The Beginnings Publishing Website. Because we'll be doing extra library reading and weekly written reports, he will be getting the 180 hour requirement for a credit for this course.

Whatever you decide, blessings to you!

• 2 weeks later...

I was deciding the same thing this morning and did a search on the board.;)

It's 187 including lessons, labs, and reviews. Looking at the lessons, many of them are very *short* - Lesson 1, for example, is reading 3 pgs. of text (with 2 of them being less than half a page of actual words) and answering 2 questions. Most of the lessons seem to be that way.

There is a lot of imformation packed into some of them, though, so it depends on your goal for the class. Mastery would take longer than exposure (and with quizzes being optional, you get to decide.)

Dividing it up, you would have to do 6 lessons for 5 weeks. I plan to go through and pick the lessons/labs that would be easier to double up on.

Dd did Year 1 in one year, and I think both years could have been done in one. You'll have to do science every day, but I think students that close to high school should anyway.

Skipping the labs is not something I would suggest if you are considering it. Part of the teaching material is actually in the lab content in the manual. You could follow this schedule:

Monday-2 lessons

Tuesday-Lab

Wednesday-2 lessons

Thursday-Lab

Friday-Review and Quiz

Every quiz covers 4 lessons and 2 labs, so it fits nicely into a week.