Menu

Art program that focuses on sketch/drawing?

In 8th grade, my daughter used Betty Edwards' The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence.

The author also has a workbook that you could use -- New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook: Guided Practice in the Five Basic Skills of Drawing.

Regards,

Kareni

When I took a drawing class we used this book. (It was years ago, so not this edition.)

I had zero skill in sketching before this course. The exercises are illuminating--e.g., how much easier it is to copy a drawing placed upside down. One's inner critic is much quieter about drawing an eye, a horse's leg, whatever the tricky object is, when it's just lines.

I also liked how the exercises were transferable to future art projects. It's not like those "draw a horse" books where the animal is deconstructed into basic shapes.

There was also an intuitive approach to perspective--none of those vanishing point exercises with multiple straight lines. (I found these completely confusing in 6th grade.)

Nice to see there's a workbook.

In 8th grade, my daughter used Betty Edwards' The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence.

The author also has a workbook that you could use -- New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook: Guided Practice in the Five Basic Skills of Drawing.

Regards,

Kareni

I was going to suggest this. My high school art teacher used this book/these methods. I went to art school (college) and this book was used for Drawing I. One thing to note (incase it's a concern to you), there is some new age quotes/concepts in the book (atleast in the older edition).