Menu

If you supplement MUS with Math Mammoth, can you tell me what that looks like?

Shellydon

We just started doing this, as DS9 still isn't solid on reading analog clocks. So I am supplementing from the MM series that goes by topic, not by grade. I let him decide which math he'd rather work on on a given day--MUS Gamma (we're just about done) or MM clocks. Some days he even picks both. We do one MM section at a time--there's an explanation part that he reads aloud to me, and then he does the practice questions for that section. I am undecided how I feel about MM--the pages are busier than MUS (not good for my son), though there is more of a range of question types (good for my son), and I _really_ didn't like one part that said something like "Don't worry if this is still a bit confusing. You'll practice more in grade 2." Not exactly bolstering my rising 4th grader's confidence. (We crossed out "grade 2" and wrote in "later"). :D

Does that help? Or were you wondering about something more specific?

We just started doing this, as DS9 still isn't solid on reading analog clocks. So I am supplementing from the MM series that goes by topic, not by grade. I let him decide which math he'd rather work on on a given day--MUS Gamma (we're just about done) or MM clocks. Some days he even picks both. We do one MM section at a time--there's an explanation part that he reads aloud to me, and then he does the practice questions for that section. I am undecided how I feel about MM--the pages are busier than MUS (not good for my son), though there is more of a range of question types (good for my son), and I _really_ didn't like one part that said something like "Don't worry if this is still a bit confusing. You'll practice more in grade 2." Not exactly bolstering my rising 4th grader's confidence. (We crossed out "grade 2" and wrote in "later"). :D

Does that help? Or were you wondering about something more specific?

I was wondering if anyone had paired up the MM grade 4 and MUS Delta, specifically. Thanks for your response, I used the clock and money portion a well.

Well, I supplement topically for math, money etc. as desired, but I also use MM to teach all the different ways that they have of tackling concepts. MUS is GREAT for really mastering the ways they teach, but I like being able to approach it from another angle too! SOooo, what we are doing is I use a MM page at a level behind where we are in MUS just to cement/review/reapproach etc. If we are working on subtraction topics, I'll use the addition sheets etc.

Hope this helps!

Well, I supplement topically for math, money etc. as desired, but I also use MM to teach all the different ways that they have of tackling concepts. MUS is GREAT for really mastering the ways they teach, but I like being able to approach it from another angle too! SOooo, what we are doing is I use a MM page at a level behind where we are in MUS just to cement/review/reapproach etc. If we are working on subtraction topics, I'll use the addition sheets etc.

Hope this helps!

What a great idea of using the year behind!!! Can I steal it for our house? :D