Menu

What is SWB's opinion on the writing portion of R&S grammar?

Faline

I remember reading that she said the writing (composition) part of Rod & Staff grammar was sufficient up until a certain grade, but now I can't recall which grade it was? I know I read it on this board before, but can't find it now.

Probably what you are thinking of is that in the new WTM, her recommendation was changed from Abeka for grammar combined with Writing Strands for writing to Rod and Staff for both. It states on p.359: "If you choose Rod & Staff, the composition exercises provided will fulfill the middle-grade student's need for a writing program."

Altho' it is also recommended in 9th and 10th grade for writing & grammar, there are rhetoric recommendations and other writing recs in addition to those books for high school.

hth,

Rhonda

Thank you! So does anyone actually do that? (Use only R&S) I see so much talk about writing programs. I bought Meaningful Composition to add in for my rising 5th grader who hates to write, but his schedule for this coming school year is getting really full. I was thinking of waiting till next year to add in MC. I have a hard time knowing how much is too much! Maybe I'll ask that in a new thread.

Thank you! So does anyone actually do that? (Use only R&S) I see so much talk about writing programs.

Umm, I did.

I did use only R & S for writing, and now wishing I didn't. I'm noticing my children's writing is "not sufficient" in my mind. I'm still not getting good essays from my high-schooler without ALOT of work and gnashing of teeth on my part. (And while I have only boys I think a good deal has to do with the lack of prior writing.)

That said, I will freely state that I foolishly (speaking ONLY of myself here!) didn't require writing in a lot of other subjects.

I made a lot of mistakes with my older two that I hope to iron out with the younger set. . .

Thank you! So does anyone actually do that? (Use only R&S) I see so much talk about writing programs. I bought Meaningful Composition to add in for my rising 5th grader who hates to write, but his schedule for this coming school year is getting really full. I was thinking of waiting till next year to add in MC. I have a hard time knowing how much is too much! Maybe I'll ask that in a new thread.

I do! I only use R&S as a formal writing program. No other program, but I follow SWB's other writing suggestions in WTM and her writing CD. (copywork/dictation, narration, and we'll be getting into outlining, writing from outline) The R&S writing lessons either introduce new writing concepts (like poetry or letter writing), or they serve to enhance/expand on the WTM/CD suggestions.

I had tried to combine it w/other writing programs after reading post after post about how it didn't have enough "practice". But, I really do apply the lessons across the curriculum. And, my ds really prefers that method because it's not "another subject" to do. I just posted about how I've used it to make it "stick". I'll try to link:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=238833#poststop

FWIW, my just-finished 7th grader didn't know what a *noun* WAS when I pulled him out of ps in 5th grade. I *highly* recommend R&S, but you do have to add in writing to your history and science (and lit) to have the practice.

hth,

Rhonda

Umm, I did.

I did use only R & S for writing, and now wishing I didn't. I'm noticing my children's writing is "not sufficient" in my mind. I'm still not getting good essays from my high-schooler without ALOT of work and gnashing of teeth on my part. (And while I have only boys I think a good deal has to do with the lack of prior writing.)

That said, I will freely state that I foolishly (speaking ONLY of myself here!) didn't require writing in a lot of other subjects.

I made a lot of mistakes with my older two that I hope to iron out with the younger set. . .

Thank you for sharing, as I would have probably not thought to spread it out to other subjects as well. (Writing is my least favorite subject to teach!)

you know.... I am finishing up 5th grade with a pencil allergic boy. No matter what I tried he would rather chew rocks than do a writing program. What I realized was that all of the writing programs teach creative writing. My boy is just about the facts. I taught him to write a basic 5 sentence paragraph. He has been writing a couple of those each week, all year and is getting much better. He writes about whatever we are studying that day in science or history. He is getting much better and we have expanded it a little now. Next year I am trying Jensen's format writing.

He just doesn't like creative writing programs and I figure I can cover things like voice and style along the way a bit. Those things will be helpful for essays later on but right now my idea is to start small, work our way up and help him to be less pencil phobic.

Yep, I realized too that my ds just doesn't "do" creative writing. Thanks for your ideas!

I do! I only use R&S as a formal writing program. No other program, but I follow SWB's other writing suggestions in WTM and her writing CD. (copywork/dictation, narration, and we'll be getting into outlining, writing from outline) The R&S writing lessons either introduce new writing concepts (like poetry or letter writing), or they serve to enhance/expand on the WTM/CD suggestions.

Thanks for your ideas on how to expand on R&S as well. I do need to get that CD!

I had tried to combine it w/other writing programs after reading post after post about how it didn't have enough "practice". But, I really do apply the lessons across the curriculum. And, my ds really prefers that method because it's not "another subject" to do. I just posted about how I've used it to make it "stick". I'll try to link:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=238833#poststop

FWIW, my just-finished 7th grader didn't know what a *noun* WAS when I pulled him out of ps in 5th grade. I *highly* recommend R&S, but you do have to add in writing to your history and science (and lit) to have the practice.

hth,

Rhonda

Again, you have been most helpful! I'm printing that other thread. Thank you so much!