Menu

7th grade science topics

My rising 7th grader has been home for 2 years and continues to want to go back to school.:sad: I would like to keep him home for 7th, but it's possible he would go back for 8th.

I looked at the school science 7th, and found that these topics would be covered:

Scientific Method

Cells/Heredity/Genetics

Five Kingdoms of Living Things

Human Body

Energy, Force and Motion

Chemical and Physical Properties of Matter

Weather (Earth Systems, Solar Energy and Climate)

Does anything come to mind when you see these topics? What program do you think would be the best for preparing him to go back into school? The two being discussed the most seem to be Apologia and BJU. I'm leaning toward BJU just based on the threads I've been reading, but I'm not sure it covers all these. Does that even matter at this age?

Looking at the topics in Apologia 7 they seem to cover most of those you mentioned, except the weather and energy. We've covered those in earlier years anyway.

I would say the most important thing this year is to make sure he has a solid understanding of the scientific method and the human body systems. Eighth grade science does not usually depend on pre-requisite knowledge, except the scientific method and the ability to apply it to a variety of science topics.

I have heard nothing but good things about BJU Science, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

That is a pretty standard General (or integrated) Science course. BJU will probably be a higher level than what he would do in school (that is covering LIFE science far more in depth). I would not hesitate to use BJU with a child headed back to ps. However, if you want to make sure he has covered all the topics you might consider something like this from Pearson.