Menu

Would Telling God's Story work with a third and fifth grader?

Jenny in GA

We are Christians but not doing any "family" or "homeschool" Bible Study at the moment.

I looked at the samples of Telling God's Story and liked it. I also read part of a Peter Enns book for adults and have to say that it really resonates with the way my husband and I see the Bible.

Anyway, I'm considering using it, but my kids are five, eight, and ten. Would it be too babyish for my older kids? Or ... since Bible stories can be for all ages, do you think it could work?

If it's not appropriate for those ages, do you have any suggestions for what we might enjoy instead? Thanks!

I really like Concordia Voyages.

You could use the 4th grade workbook for your 3rd and 5th graders together.

It is written for daily use in a Lutheran parochial school setting, and primarily focusses on Bible literacy, faith, and applications. It is more conservative than what I have seen of Dr. Enns' work, but not fundamentalist. I liked having the TE, but it's not really necessary at that age--it's nice to have all the answers filled in, but not crucial. If you decide to get it, I recommend getting yourself a workbook as well--they are not very expensive--and getting one copy of the memory book for the family. Everyone will need a Bible.