Menu

Check out this cool demonstration!

It is wild that we are finding so many of these things in my lifetime. I hope it means we are more open minded than previous generations. I have a horrid suspition that it just means that we are more connected. But I guess that is the beginnings of being open minded. Enjoy!

http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/weblog/posts/moving_big_rocks

(And I can't seem to figure out how to unbold this. Sorry. I'm not shouting, really.)

-Nan

We just finished Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain, and on pp. 197-198 (Part VIII, Chapter 12), it states that the Britons tried to move the rocks of Stonehenge with "every conceivable kind of mechanism." It says then that ". . . Merlin burst out laughing. He placed in position all the gear which he considered necessary and dismantled the stones more easily than you could ever believe. Once he had pulled them down, he had them carried to the ships and stored on board, and they all set sail once more for Britain with joy in their hearts." Maybe this fellow's discovery was the kernel of Merlin's success! What I have a hard time swallowing, though, is Merlin's claim (or was it Geoffrey's?) that the stones originated in Africa and were used by giants to bathe their feet because of their medicinal qualities! Somehow the stones were transported from Africa to Ireland, and then from Ireland to Great Britain by Merlin.

Interesting stuff! I enjoyed the video, and so did my daughters!

Wow, we just visited Stonehenge and Avebury this year and I have just posted on my blog all about our visit (see signature). It seems that anything is possible if one puts their mind to it, even cracking a mystery thousands of years old. Incredible. Thank you for sharing this.

Regards,

Lorna