Menu

MEP year 7 as logic? Year 8 as pre algebra?

My son will be a 6th grader next school year. This past year we worked through the Logic Liftoff books and he enjoyed it. For next year, I was planning on using Building Thinking Skills book 2. It looks a little easy for him, but I got it for 4$ at a book sale and that makes it hard to not use it. I am planning to start "Critical Thinking" by Harnadek in 7th grade (I think) again, I got the series at that same book sale so it's looking like that is what we will use. I am sure you understand :001_smile:

So, I am looking at the MEP math program year 7. If I understand, year 7&8 in the MEP program are for older students who didn't get MEP in their 1-6 school years. I believe the two together will get a student ready for high school level math. I think they are remedial to some extent.

Fine. I don't need them for math review because my son is chugging along with Singapore and LOF.

But, there are some very good chapters on logic in year 7. And if one pokes around, there are extra activities etc to pad out the lessons. There is a unit called "logic" that covers puzzles, sets and Venn diagrams. There is one on notation. There is another unit on 'number patterns and sequences' . There is a unit on 'searching for patterns" and another on probability.

I am thinking that I could do all of this, take our time and call it logic. If we get done with it quite early in the year, I can always just have him work through Building Thinking Skills book 2, right?

And FTR, MEP year 8 is looking like a viable 'pre algebra' program for grade 7 to me.... If I finished year 6 of my math program and my kid needed a good strong math review before moving on to algebra I think year 7&8 would give them that.

Anyone here have experience with the MEP upper year courses? Anyone want to comment on my plan? Does it seem a little hare brained? It is not something the student can do on his or her own. All of MEP is written with the idea that a teacher will be there to teach.

Any thoughts on MEP year 8 as a pre algebra course?

:bigear:

Ok, so I may have answered my own question. I did some digging around at the MEP homeschoolers yahoo group, of which I am a member. I found a thread where one experienced teacher says that year 7 MEP = pre algebra,

year 8 MEP = first half of Algebra 1 and the first half of geometry, MEP year 9= second half of algebra 1 and second half of geometry.

So, maybe not pulling apart year 7 for just the logic but maybe someone here will like it for pre algebra? Or maybe I use year 7 for pre-algebra?

I am funny. I am talking to myself in my own little thread...:lol:

I've done several units from Y7-9 with DD the Elder. There are some intriguing topics that are not typically covered in the middle grade in North America. The problems sets aren't challenging, but are adequate for first exposure.

Ok, so I may have answered my own question. I did some digging around at the MEP homeschoolers yahoo group, of which I am a member. I found a thread where one experienced teacher says that year 7 MEP = pre algebra,

year 8 MEP = first half of Algebra 1 and the first half of geometry, MEP year 9= second half of algebra 1 and second half of geometry.

FWIW, I don't agree with this characterization.

Just looking at factoring:

MEP Y9 covers:

multiplying binomials

common factors

factoring x² + bx + c

While most Algebra 1 programs would also cover:

factoring a difference of squares

factoring ax² + bx + c

quadratic equation

And the geometry in Y7-9 looks nothing like the US treatment of Geometry (IMHO, this is not a bad thing, as I don't like the way Geometry is done in the states).

Edited by nmoira

It was clear that the characterization was a rough estimate. The overall discussion was more about how difficult it is to compare a British math sequence to the American.

I did glean some good information, though. For example, my son is going to be finishing up Singapore elementary starting next autumn. One discussion mentioned that mathematically, Singapore and MEP will get you to about the same place by the end of year 6: theoretically ready to start algebra 1. Not all students are developmentally ready for that, but they should have the skills. However, MEP students will have more experience with mathematical logic problems. I am using MEP 1 with my youngest and I can see how that is a major difference between the two programs. That is partially why MEP 7 has some logic units. It will help bring students who didn't have MEP up to speed.

So, in a round about way, that brings me back to my original proposition, using MEP year 7 logic units with my 6th grader in addition to Building Thinking Skills, book 2. I am now thinking, given that line of thought, that it might be useful.

However, MEP students will have more experience with mathematical logic problems. I am using MEP 1 with my youngest and I can see how that is a major difference between the two programs. That is partially why MEP 7 has some logic units. It will help bring students who didn't have MEP up to speed.
Yes and no. The approach of MEP Y7-9 is the polar opposite of Y1-6: Rather like, "Here's an explanation and some example problems, now apply this to a less than challenging problem set." So it does give more coverage of topics that might need reinforcement, but in a very different manner than the elementary program. The student is simply not expected to stretch.

So, in a round about way, that brings me back to my original proposition, using MEP year 7 logic units with my 6th grader in addition to Building Thinking Skills, book 2. I am now thinking, given that line of thought, that it might be useful.
I'd also recommend these units for variety:

Y7 - number patterns; scale drawing; searching for pattern

Y8 - mathematical diagrams, nets and surface area; angles, bearings & maps, if there are any gaps

Y8 - sequences

Because the topics are discrete, you can choose to follow a thread or threads exclusively rather than completing all the intervening materials.

For example, ratio and proportion:

Y7 - Fractions --> Scale Drawing ---> Decimals, Fractions, %

Y8 - Ratio & Proportion --> Fractions & Percentages

Y9 - Fractions & Percentages (if needed)

Here are some additional CIMP units on codes and ciphers:

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/teachers/ccresources.rhtm