Menu

Asthma Capitals 2011

For those interested, here is a list of the Asthma capitals for 2011. Since moving from Philadelphia to the DFW metroplex our ds condition has improved greatly. We found a good allergist in the area and now our ds enjoys ice hockey, swimmimg and just being an active 8 year-old.

Looking at the reports, I can tell you for certain we will never move back to Pennsylvania. Overall, the state ranks poorly. Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, Scanton/Wilkes Barre/Hazelton, Harrisburg/Lebanon/Carlisle, Pittsburgh, Lancaster, all score poorly. Basically the areas where most people live and work :mad:. Philadelphia is ranked number 9 for 2011 and was as high as third for 2006.

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia(CHOP) was recently ranked #1 for respiratory disorders in America's Best Children's Hospitals 2008. That's a good thing. That area needs them.

Edited by Whitworth

Asthma, by sex, provinces and territories - Statistics Canada

1. Nunavut 3.5%

2. Northwest Territories 6.4%

3. Quebec 7.3% decreasing

4. British Columbia 7.5%

5. New Brunswick 7.6% decreasing

6. Ontario 8.2%

7. Prince Edward Island 8.2%

8. Alberta 8.5%

9. Newfoundland/Labrador 8.7%

10. Saskatchewan 9.0% increasing

11. Nova Scotia 9.2%

12. Yukon 10.4% increasing

13. Manitoba 10.7% increasing

I didn't see NJ on there at all but Northern New Jersey is often considered part of the NY Metro area and Southern New Jersey is considered part of the Philadelphia Metro area.

I know this summer so far, with the high heat indexes, heat advisories and air quality warnings, has been a bad one.

I live in the suburbs outside of number one. Moved here ten years ago (dh's hometown). He had severe asthma as a child. My oldest DD just got diagnosed. And I just was issued an inhaler for "bronchial issues"at age 41. Hmmmm.....