Menu

Need recommendations for ACT DVD prep course

My dd has done fine on the ACT. Her score, the last 2 times, has been 23. For what she wants to do, and where she has her heart set on going, it's fine. But the State may change the HOPE scholarship requirement. Right now a 21 is all that is needed, but budget issues has forced them to consider changes. One change that has been mentioned is changing the required score to 23 or 24. If it went to 24 we would loose a lot of money each year. So I'm thinking of having her try a DVD course. I don't know of any, so I'm looking for recommendations.

What have you used and found useful?

No firsthand experience, but I've seen the following recommended as good prep for the Science section of the test and a friend attested that her daughter found it helpful. Free is also a hard price to pass up!

- Science from SuperMagnetMan.

The following link is the practice test which is being addressed in the videos:

http://www.act.org/aap/pdf/preparing.pdf

You might also consider the Chalk Dust SAT/ACT Math review; my daughter found it of value when reviewing for the math portion of the SAT.

Regards,

Kareni

Kim, I'm in TN too, and I had not heard this. I hope it is not true. We would be in the same boat as you. I was going to try and get my daughter's ACT score up, mainly in the hopes of snagging some type of scholarship. I'm trying to be realistic, however, and know that she probably won't get be able to get it up much more. The things that were mentioned previously are all the reccomendations I have seen, as well. Good luck to you.

I've been researching ACT prep recently and ran across some advice on the College Confidential board that makes a lot of sense to me. Simply have the student take the practice tests, one section at a time, and let them take as much time as they need. Then, have them go through the solutions, every single one of them, regardless of whether they got the answer right or wrong. By reading every solution, they start to get a feel for what the tests are really asking.

Pegasus

Kim, I'm in TN too, and I had not heard this. I hope it is not true. We would be in the same boat as you. I was going to try and get my daughter's ACT score up, mainly in the hopes of snagging some type of scholarship. I'm trying to be realistic, however, and know that she probably won't get be able to get it up much more. The things that were mentioned previously are all the reccomendations I have seen, as well. Good luck to you.

It was in the paper a few weeks ago. It was just a brief mention, along with other possibilities, for helping with the budget. So far they have limited how many credits students can take using the HOPE scholarship, but it's at the required amount to graduate. The paper had mentioned the score requirement could be changed to either 23 or 24, or it could stay the same.