Menu

Question about Ds

He needs to go see an eye doctor. He has tracking issues but lately when doing school work he has been rubbing his eyes. ALOT. So I need to get him into a good eye doctor. We live an hour and a half away from anything- and I don't think there are any good developmental eye doctors that close. I know there is a website that keeps getting posted to locate a doctor (www.covd.com) but anyways the closest to us was over 8 hours away :confused: So we are currently looking for the best, semi close doctor for ds to go see.

Anyways- what would you do in regards to schoolwork? He does ok for short amounts of time. Would you do short spurts a few more times a day? Just wait all together and risk him losing all the progress he has made (that WOULD happen, he really needs to stick with it or he loses it fast) Attempt to do more orally, or written large on our white board? We are trying to get him somewhere but I am having troubles locating a good doctor, and over an 8 hour drive 1 way is just not realistic right now with Dh work schedule and gas prices (not to mention its about 8 1/2 hours 1 way :001_huh: did I mention that?)

Any thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04
found website

I would call those on the COVD list and ask if they know anyone doing vision therapy closer to you. It could be that there is someone clloser that it not on the list yet.

Has he had a regular eye exam yet? If he is having other eye issues due to nearsighted/farsightedness having glasses may help ease some issues.

He needs to go see an eye doctor. He has tracking issues but lately when doing school work he has been rubbing his eyes. ALOT. So I need to get him into a good eye doctor. We live an hour and a half away from anything- and I don't think there are any good developmental eye doctors that close. I know there is a website that keeps getting posted to locate a doctor (www.covd.com) but anyways the closest to us was over 8 hours away :confused: So we are currently looking for the best, semi close doctor for ds to go see.

Anyways- what would you do in regards to schoolwork? He does ok for short amounts of time. Would you do short spurts a few more times a day? Just wait all together and risk him losing all the progress he has made (that WOULD happen, he really needs to stick with it or he loses it fast) Attempt to do more orally, or written large on our white board? We are trying to get him somewhere but I am having troubles locating a good doctor, and over an 8 hour drive 1 way is just not realistic right now with Dh work schedule and gas prices (not to mention its about 8 1/2 hours 1 way :001_huh: did I mention that?)

Any thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Although covd's specialize in this, (and may have lots of equipment specifically for it) some ot's and others therapists may work with some of these issues too.

There are some materials and activities to build tracking skills that can be done at home. http://www.therapro.com/Visual-Perception-Cognition-C6462.aspx We have used things like the Ann Arbor letter tracking books (linked above) and done several other vision related activities at home.

(background info on us: I haven't taken my child to a covd either, due to cost and several factors. I don't believe that vision is my son's primary problem, and two non-covd eye doctors who examined him have said he doesn't have tracking problems. However, because vision plays a role in reading, we've done some of these activities at home.)