Menu

History question for my 7th grader

Hi ladies! I have lurked here for years but this is my very first post & I am kind of nervous - you guys are a super talented and very knowledgeable bunch :001_smile:

I have been researching and deliberating AND deliberating and researching and I give up! I need some advice please.

I have 4 sons - ages 12, 10, 7 & almost 6. This question today is about my 12 year old - going into 7th grade. We are a military family so we have done both homeschool & public school. For the past 2 years we have homeschooled and I have made up my own curr based on WTM - he has covered ancients and renn to reformation. I wanted to start Omnibus I with him this year because we are of the reformed theology persuasion ;) and I think he can handle it - he is advanced for his age. But here is my conundrum - we have never covered American history and I don’t think he really studied it in public school either.

So I would love your honest feedback - should I do a year of American history first or just dive into Omnibus I and study American history when he gets there? We currently live in Texas so I don't have to worry about testing or anything but since I have accidentally created this knowledge gap I am stuck...:confused:

Thanks so much again!!

Nicole

(I don't have a fancy signature yet :D)

Welcome to roasting in Texas! But the homeschool laws are so awesome!

I would start Omnibus and get some good documentries like the Liberty Kids set from netflix instant downloads. Then cover the rest as it comes up time period wise in Omnibus. really, grab some library books and call it done. He doesn't need to know the in depth just the overview at this age.

If you want a package, All American History is realativly painless.

Thank you soooo much! What a lifted burden from my shoulders! I am going to dive into Omnibus I this fall and not worry! I love the idea of watching some history based television shows over the summer (and he won't bulk at that! yippee!) :lurk5:

Do you know any free sites to download shows or movies or where I would find the history channel items in order? I would love some suggestions of things you have used that would be age appropriate and accurate.

This forum is a real blessing - especially to those of us that move around a lot and don't get to connect for years and years with a local group :)

Nicole