Menu

Winterpromise American Story or MFW Creation to Greeks?

buttercup

If you had a 2nd (advanced in reading) and 5th grader (struggling 5th grader), would you choose WP's American Story 1 or MFW Creation To Greeks? My kids would benefit from studying either time period at this time. My concern with Creation to Greeks is that my 2nd grader would be tagging along and I'm afraid some of the books would be WAY over her head (specifically, Streams of Civilization). I am also concerned of the heavy content presented at such an early age. What do you think? Thanks!

We've used WP American Story 1 this year and loved it! I think both of your children would enjoy it. Your 2nd grader could do most of the worksheets and map work with a little assistance from you. The crafts (if you buy the craft kit) would require supervision as well.

We combined AS1 with Trail Guide to Learning (because I'm a compulsive curriculum combiner to get EXACTLY what I want, LOL) and that is another one that you might be interested in looking at. It would be geared more to your older child, but the younger could EASILY join in (again, eliminating some of the more difficult things and adapting others where necessary). Here's their website. And, btw, the curriculum is cheaper through Rainbow.

http://www.geomatters.com/learning_series/

I would do WP's American Story 1. If you wanted to go really crazy and can find a used TM perhaps, then I'd also get MFW Adventures to use alongside it. We had a fantastic year and it was quite easy to combine these two programs. What I tended to do was get the meat out of MFW Adventures by doing a week's worth in a couple of days, while using WP American Story as my base. I loved the bible section of MFW Adventures and we really enjoyed the booklist in the back to use with our States' Study.

As you look ahead to the future, do you see yourself using MFW Explore to 1850? I believe it uses many of the same materials from Adventures (including the States Study). So, if you know you are going to use this, then I probably wouldn't bother getting MFW Adventures (but otherwise, I'd go for it, and save Creation to the Greeks for another year).

Brenda

Actually Omma, I have MFW Adventures. It is the older ed. but I used it with my ds a couple of years ago, but I never totally finished it. We only got through half of the guide. We kind of did not like the state studies. They seemed to bog us down. We liked everything else about Adventures though.

Did you leverage the booklist while you were doing the States' Study? Those books were wonderful, as they got to the 'heart' of each state with great pictures. I LOVE picture books myself for studying history, never mind the kids! Well, if you already have the TM for Adventures, you could use WP AS1 for both dc and add some of the fun of Adventures for your 2nd grader... that is if you want to do Am. History next year. But, then again, if you have already done Am. History just two years ago and you haven't done ancient history in awhile, I'd do CtG. I'd try to figure a plan for where you want to go next year and for the middle school years for your oldest, and then go with that. So 5th grade could be the ancients for your oldest, 6th grade RtR, and 7th and 8th grades be Am. History integrated with what is happening in the world.

Another question I'd ask is if you've done a good world geography overview with your dc yet. If not, then MFW ECC or WP's CATW would also be good (except CATW has the plight of children around the world which may be a bit old for your 2nd grader, but you could tone it down). I am actually doing a combination of ECC and CATW this coming year with my 6th and 4th graders, and I'll be using WP's travel diaries in a co-op this coming year... it should be fun!

So many options! I love planning history and geography studies! :D

Brenda