Menu

History with written work/questions/tests......

My dd will be an 8th grader next year. I'm trying to find a history more suitable to her than what we have been doing. Basically we're doing a tweaked plan of Sonlight's old Core 6. I planned to do the same next year with SL's old Core 7. It uses SOTW 3 and 4, which we've never read. However, there's very little written work and dd keeps saying that though she is enjoying the books, she doesn't feel like she's retaining the history she's reading. She needs to do something with the reading for it to stick. We've done a bit of narrations, but she hates that. She tends to make them way too long, getting very detailed. She needs something that asks more specific questions. She's done an Apologia notebook with Zoology 1 and loves that format. I bought the tests that go along with SOTW 3 & 4, thinking maybe that would work. The one for SOTW 3 is pretty basic (fill in the blank, multiple choice, a few short answer questions), but the one for SOTW 4 seems meatier. I'm not sure though. Is there something else that would add more and be better?

If you would like to develop her narration skills, you could try Writing with Ease. There are placement tests here: http://wtm-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/wwe/wweevaluations.pdf I know it is designed for lower grades, but it wouldn't take much extra time to add in with an older student.

For history, we are looking at Light to the Nations from Catholic Textbook Project. They have teacher manuals with sample quizzes and tests, additional reading, and writing assignments.

Oak Meadow has secular history programs. I believe the 7th grade history lines up with Core 7. They have samples on their site.

Chloe, you may want to take a look at Biblioplan. Their Yr. 3 would pick up where you are in your history studies. It uses SOTW 3 plus alot of other titles. Biblioplan now has several different products that they have created and published for themselves. They have a Parents' Companion and something they call Cool History sheets that help to reinforce the history readings. It would be alot of reading like SL but doesn't depend on just oral or written narration. Their sheets have more specific discussion questions and comprehension questions. You don't have to use all the books that BP schedules, it is alot.

Here is the page for Year 3: http://www.biblioplan.net/2011/04/introduction-to-year-three_09.html

And the Cool History pages: http://www.biblioplan.net/2011/04/introduction-to-biblioplan-cool.html

Edited by Donna T.

Great idea, Donna! The only problem is that I want my dd to do both SOTW 3 and 4 since she will be an 8th grader. After looking at several options for high school, she really wants to do BF Ancients for 9th (or possibly MFW AHL). So I really need her to get through both volumes of SOTW this year. Still, I may be able to combine two years of Biblioplan.

Chloe, I was/am in the exact same boat! Looking at Core 6 and 7 sitting here right now. We looked at Biblioplan and I really like it, but we too are doing Ancients for 9th - MFW AHL....so, dd#2 (8th) really wanted to finish up a survey of WH. She finished 3/4's of Core 6 this year. She is going with TRISMS History Makers. I will keep many of the SL books, since they are here, and use those as her readers. I snagged a used copy of HM and do not yet have it in hand, but they are selling 1st edition on their website for $75. We pretty much have everything else we need, so an inexpensive way to switch. If it looks do-able, I will use with my 7th grader, combined with the SOTW's and spread it out over two years. Just another option to look at! Good luck! I made myself completely nuts looking at this.

Another thought:tongue_smilie:would be to use the BP Cool History & Companions with your SOTW and SL books....they use SOTW and the booklists are quite similar.......you'd have to do your own schedule...maybe follow your SL IG for an outline??? Let us know what you decide!

Have you considered something like TruthQuest as a foundation to use as you create your own lessons ala TWTM? She could do outlining 1x or 2x per week and use the weekly history and literature as subject matter for her essays, reports, etc. It definitely would allow you to tie composition with her history studies. I know it would require a chunk of time for you to pull it all together, but this way you could customize what is needed for 8th grade before moving on to your high school plans.

I will be in a similar boat as you in a year and I've decided to either use Biblioplan or follow the idea I've mentioned here. Either way, I know it will do the trick.

FWIW. :001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda

The third volume (releasing soon, but available as PDFs if you've pre-ordered) covers 1800-present (SOTW 3 and 4). You can buy tests if you'd like. There are plenty of written assignments (e.g., essays, timeline, maps, other) plus projects. It's divided into just 9 units (monthly) and has suggested reading in addition to the text and CD material that is included. You could easily add in SOTW 3 and 4 material. There is also art, music, and architecture.

You can see samples at her website or AIG, but they will be from the first two volumes.

HTH,

PameLA in VA