Menu

Speaking of camping....

I started taking my girls for an all girl campout a couple years ago. We didnt get to go last year cuz we were traveling last summer as a family. This year, I want to take the girls again and I want it to be SUPER fun. We will probably only do 3 or 4 days this year. What kinds of crafts would be fun for a 7 year old and a 16 1/2 year old?? Any other ideas that would span across age would be great. Thanks!

My kids don't tend to do as much of the organized crafts as you can end up a bit dusty and dirty.

They love to use mud as clay to sculpt things. Particularly Susan (8) is really good at this now, as she practices so much. They've actually worked out by trial and error how to work the mud to make it better for use as clay.

They use sticks to build tee-pees.

The organized art and craft is probably better to do in a house where the facilities are.

Well, if you're going to go "camping", I'd try for some nature related stuff! We tend to play more games than do lots of crafts when we camp (we can do crafts anytime), BUT some fun ones are:

Making bubble solution and trying to recycle items or find items that will make good bubbles! (You can use all kinds of things that are thrown away...not saying you need to dig in the garbage, but you can clean the campground and find something neat sometimes!)

Have the girls find sticks, leaves, berries, acorns, whatever, and try to make a log cabin or fairy house by glueing them together.

Nature rubbings or prints!

Make a birdfeeder and bring twine to string it up...see if you can get any birds to visit before your trip is over.

We are going camping next week and our girls have already prepared some scrapbook pages for the trip so that they can just print out and attach their photos. You can make a mini photo album with all sorts of things. Our girls enjoyed making them out of brown paper lunch bags--you can google that and find directions!

Press some flowers and leaves and, if they're dry enough (probably not) use some self-laminating sheets and cardstock to make pretty bookmarks, cards, placemats, etc.

Make flower necklaces, real or fake (bring beads! LOL).

Craft stores sell some cheap, cute foamie sun visors--our younger kiddos make these every year. $1 for the visor, buy some self-stick or glue on foamie shapes, and voila!