Menu

need help choosing a spelling curriculum

mom24arrows

Spell to Write and Read (Wanda Sanseri) teaches spelling rules very explicitly. Personally, I haven't ever used the whole program as intended, but I did use their phonogram flashcards to teach the advanced phonograms (and accompanying spelling rules) after I completed Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with my dd's, currently 6 and 7. I use SRA Spelling Mastery as my base for spelling. It is heavy on word and sentence dictation, and with a slight bit of tweaking has worked well in combination with teaching/reinforcing the SWR rules.

Hope this helps!

ETA: Spelling Mastery also teaches explicit spelling rules, but in a more incremental way. Each covers things the other leaves out and I've found the two complement each other well. :)

Edited by 4peanuts

Your child sounds like my oldest, now 8 but reading since age 2/3. I highly recommend All About Spelling. I bought the program for my younger, age 6, to use as a reading program (he was NOT reading early like the older), and my older has been tagging along and learning spelling rules with us. He LOVES it, and often says it was his favourite part of his homeschool day. I like that the program teaches spelling rules explicitly and succinctly--often rules my elder knew intuitively, but couldn't articulate (and then would mess up once we were dealing with more complex words). We used Sequential Spelling first, and while my son could do the words and see the patterns (his brain is 'wired' to see patterns easily), he was unable to apply this knowledge in novel situations.