Menu

Classiquest or Elemental Science

I love how these seem to both be set up like the History Odyssey Level 2 program. So which do you like better and is less hassle? I would prefer not to buy a microscope this year as things are rather tight (like it is for most of us).

If memory serves they both require a microscope to some extent. If you are wanting life science or biology studies, then you will need to look at the examples to discern which is the best fit.

They are different only slightly. I went with ES Biology because dd is such a disector of all things. I will move to CQ for chemistry in the logic stage.

I do not think that either is a bad choice. I ran through them and picked them apart, as well as emailed them with questions.

CQ is more of a guide like HO than ES, but only slightly. I like the lesson design of ES a little bit better.

As you can see, I loved them both!

We chose ClassiQuest Biology, but you'd need a microscope. Our library has a homeschool science time where they have a science teacher and lab supplies available for homeschoolers to use one day a week. Maybe look at your library system to see if they have something similar available.

We are planning on using Elemental Science and I believe it says that there are some websites you can look up the pictures of things as if they were seen through a microscope. Not sure how well that will work, but I can't afford a microscope either. Hope that helps.

I bought both :tongue_smilie:.

However, after having both in my hands and perusing them, I'm pretty sure I'm going with ES. It seems to do a little more hand holding; appears to use more common supplies for experiments, and does specifically state that you won't need a microscope because you are given websites to "view" whatever slides you need to view. It just seems more open and go to me. I'll be watching this thread, though, for people who've actually used one or both of these programs.

ES is new. No one could have used yet. :) Well, if they started midyear they certainly could have.

I will add that CQ will have kit for the labs at homescience tools too. Angie mentioned as much in our emails. :)

Do you have a specific question about ES Bio logic stage?