Menu

I know we just had a real food thread.

"Slow food" is a concept designed to make women feel guilty, because it basically implies that, the more time you spend cooking, the better person you are. The longer dinner takes to get on the table, the healthier it is and the more virtuous you are.

That's my cynical take on it, at least. ;)

My family got bread, grapes, cheese, and nuts for dinner last night. It was healthy, took minutes to get ready, and I don't feel one whit of guilt for not spending an hour cooking.

I like to cook, and I do enjoy spending time cooking, but I just see so much class bias and privilege exhibited in the "slow food" movement that I cannot get behind it.

Well from what you just posted and my meal of "salad, cheese and bread" on the menu tomorrow I'm not a slow food person.

I didn't realize there was a slow food movement. That sounds kind of TMI though.

ETA: I found this Wiki article and this official website. Now I'm confused since these sites don't sound like what you described.

Edited by Parrothead

I think the slow food movement emphasizes that eating is too important to be done "on the go", in a car, running between errands. It is not just about the time taken to prepare food, but also about the time taken to ENJOY food.

It counteracts the trend to fit eating in between "more important" things. Eating is important, and the American culture does not make enough room for it (as opposed to, for example, the French who take a two hour multi course lunch and whose day is designed to accommodate this).

I don't think it has anything to do with "class". I see it as a welcome reminder to think about priorities.

Awhhh! Come on bread, grapes, cheese and nuts can be slo food. As long as you serve that meal in late September because that is when the grapes on your arbor are now ripe....the cheese from your organically fed hand milked goats has matured a bit..... the walnuts from the tree in the yard have been lovingly gathered, dried, and hulled ...and finally the wheat harvested just weeks ago has been stone ground in your fully restored 17th century watermill and set to bread in your hand built hardwood fired oven. (Snarky, of course, mind you.)

(Now on to serious,)

Slo food is about real foods, whole foods, local foods, and family about the table. How you go about it is up to you. Bread, cheese, nuts, and fruit is totally slo food when it's put on the table and enjoyed by family.

(Back to snarky.)

It's fast food if you eat it while speeding on the freeway between ballet lessons and baseball games.

Awhhh! Come on bread, grapes, cheese and nuts can be slo food. As long as you serve that meal in late September because that is when the grapes on your arbor are now ripe....the cheese from your organically fed hand milked goats has matured a bit..... the walnuts from the tree in the yard have been lovingly gathered, dried, and hulled ...and finally the wheat harvested just weeks ago has been stone ground in your fully restored 17th century watermill and set to bread in your hand built hardwood fired oven. (Snarky, of course, mind you.)

(Now on to serious,)

Slo food is about real foods, whole foods, local foods, and family about the table. How you go about it is up to you. Bread, cheese, nuts, and fruit is totally slo food when it's put on the table and enjoyed by family.

(Back to snarky.)

It's fast food if you eat it while speeding on the freeway between ballet lessons and baseball games.

I'm glad you weren't serious. If I had to eat only what is grown locally I'd be eating nothing but potatoes and blueberries. :lol: