Menu

HOD's Creation to Christ

Donna T.

I received my box today!! Wow! I am so pleased with everything. I didn't realize how beautiful the student sheets would be and that they include maps!! I'm glad I'm doing HOD with children that are on the older side for the guides. They will get so much more out of the programs and won't have to miss out on the Extension Packages!! Those Streams of History books are treasures. I didn't know they were written from a Christian perspective! I guess I should have known that they would be.

:party:

:)

I just received the last of our books today for PHFHG [i ordered on Friday! fast service!] so we will be starting tomorrow! DD is really excited b/c she LOVES history!

We really enjoyed Preparing. There are so many good books in that program! I hope you are blessed through it, we were.

Oh, I just saw Picture Study Portfolios in your signature! I keep waivering on ordering these too!

Get them! [Donna - sorry to hijack your happy thread, it'll just take a sec. :tongue_smilie:]

I picked one up at convention - wish I'd had the $ to get all 3 that are available. They are beautiful! And the biography is really well done. I'm really looking forward to being consistent with picture study this year - finally!

[Hijack over.]

Donna - happy for you! That's how I felt when I got my boxes this year too.

:D

Oh, I just saw Picture Study Portfolios in your signature! I keep waivering on ordering these too! They sound fabulous. What a great year you have planned!

Those ARE lovely.... I am going to try them out! I adore SCM's site and HOD. :D It is all so inspiring.

Oh, these HOD threads hurt....:001_smile: HOD is so lovely....

Donna, your plans are amazing this year! So full and rich! How will you implement IEW with HOD? Are you dropping HOD's writing in CTC and subbing in IEW? Same for BJU science? I remember reading that your son isn't really loving HOD's science and needs something meatier. How are you handling the schedule for him? Can he use BJU independently? I have heard excellent things about BJU's science (meaty is what I hear).

HUGS, Katrina. Still praying for peace for you. (If it helps, I've been making my plans, and I think it's going to be very easy to add the picture study portfolios - and a couple of other things - into mfw.)

Melissa,

That is so sweet! My hub says, "Go with MFW!". I do love MFW and the one room schoolhouse feel and the book basket and the note booking and the flexible grid. I am just struggling with saying good-bye to HOD...:001_smile: It fits ME but not US if that makes sense.

I can't resist a HOD thread though....

:001_smile::001_smile:

Those ARE lovely.... I am going to try them out! I adore SCM's site and HOD. :D It is all so inspiring.

Oh, these HOD threads hurt....:001_smile: HOD is so lovely....

Donna, your plans are amazing this year! So full and rich! How will you implement IEW with HOD? Are you dropping HOD's writing in CTC and subbing in IEW? Same for BJU science? I remember reading that your son isn't really loving HOD's science and needs something meatier. How are you handling the schedule for him? Can he use BJU independently? I have heard excellent things about BJU's science (meaty is what I hear).

I like SCM too! I have always liked her materials but now it all looks so much easier to implement with the guides and all the new articles that she has added over the last couple of years.

We started IEW last spring and it was a big hit with both of my boys. They love Mr. Pudewa. I have Write With the Best and it looks great but I am going to stick with IEW and just use it on the days when WWTB is scheduled. We may try WWTB at some time in the future but not right away. We are using the Student Writing Intensive DVDs. I am just going to let him use the IEW models since they are all prepared and ready to go, and then if he needs extra practice in a unit, he can pull material from CTC for that. Then, when we get to the next HOD guide, he will know IEW pretty well and I think he'll do great with the IEW theme book as scheduled in HOD.

For Science, he will be subbing in BJU but he will do the plans for the History of Medicine book and the biography on Galen. I do like the Science in CTC but this is my Science nut and he thinks he wants to be a dentist. He reads alot of natural history on his own and just doesn't need to cover some of the content in CTC. He liked the books in Preparing (they are the kinds of books that he reads on his own anyways) but he doesn't love notebooking with his Science. I want him to be really challenged in this area. I am ready to get him with a solid Science curriculum that will take him through high school. I hope BJU is a good fit. My other son will get to CTC a year earlier and he may not have the passion for Science that my oldest does, so he may end up using it as it is. I think BJU will be manageable for him to do mostly on his own and that's how he likes/wants it!! We will be using the DVDs, so that should help.