Menu

Notebook pages ala WTM ???

Aludlam

Just doing my yearly reread of WTM. I'm curious about the notebook pages (science/history). We've done notebook pages all along, but "they aint nothing to write home about". Under the history section for 4th grade it says to work on them for 3 hours per week. That's MUCH longer than we ever have.

If you do notebook pages like this, would you please share some information on how you do them. It would help if you could either post pics or just describe what they look like and the information they contain. Also, how much time you spend and when would be helpful. Do you really pull out the "good" art supplies to do them. With having a little guy around, those things usually stay put away. We keep crayons and washable markers on the table, but that's it. I'm serious any little details would really go far here.

I think that somewhere along the way I dropped the ball on writing (not actual physical handwriting - she's top notch there), so this is the year of writing at our house for dd9. I'm hoping that following some WTM recommendations step by step will help.

thanks!

The 3 hours are not just spent on notebooking. That includes reading SOTW, doing projects, coloring pages, maps, reading aloud extra books, AND making a narration-based notebook page. :001_smile:

So, maybe relax a bit? LOL

Really, you just want your child to be able to summarize, in limited detail, some of the important parts of the SOTW lesson. Learning to discern and describe those important parts is what you are after in the writing.

I felt the same way. I have 4 adoptees that can't write independently yet. So they draw, entitle the paper and narrate to me. I have a goal this coming year to begin writing down their narrations once a week and have them copy at least one sentence. The oldest just wrote her own with a lot of assistance, so I am excited we are progressing. I am convinced that being consistent and thorough (quality vs quantity) is key....at least I am hoping ;)