Menu

History Sentences * Timeline

If you wanted your kids to memorize either a set of history sentences (hopefully ancient to modern) or a timeline ... either just a set of events or events with dates, or events with a "tidbit" of information.... What would YOU use. Even better, if you actually follow through and have put this into action. We're looking for between 100 and 200 tidbits of info about events. Trying to organize hoe we'll do it, and whether we want to put it together ourselves, or pattern after an established company.

Thanks!

I wanted to do that this year, but just didn't fit it in. I was going to use the sentences from Classical Conversations, but they were completely out of chronological order and, in their year 1 list, few of the sentences were about ancient history, which is what we were studying. I was going to make my own sentences, but just didn't get around to it. Veritas Press has a whole series of cards on historical events. You may want to check them out.

I'm actually doing this for school in the fall, but I am making my own. Here is how I came up with my history sentences: I went through my TM and read over what important event/events we are studying that week. Then I wrote a history sentence for that topic. I'm in the process of doing the same thing for science and grammar. We will just add in the history sentence when we get to that week.

By the end of the year I'm hoping dd will know 34 history sentences about American history. Next year, we will work on whatever history we are studying that year. When we cycle back through our history at the logic level then I will add more history sentences to the base that we started in grammar (does that make sense?)

As for our timeline, we are doing an American history timeline as well. I went through and decided what events in American history were of most importance and turned those into our timeline. Then just divided those by 34 weeks (which is how long we will do school) to determine how many timeline events we needed to learn each week.

Anyway, that is how I did it. HTH :001_smile: