Menu

Biology - Exploring Life (Campbell) : did you use the online component?

I have a copy of the big Campbell (Biology) but it looks like way more than I wanted to tackle as a first biology course for DD. I then bought a used copy of his Exploring Life textbook and it looks much more like what I want. However, it integrates quite a bit of online material that is only available through a membership on the publisher website.

So, if you've used this text, did you get access to the online material? Do you have to buy the text new from the publisher to get access or can you buy just a subscription to the online material?

Thanks!

Pegasus

The online activities are a fundamental component of Campbell's Exploring Life. The main activities are also available on a CD-Rom called "Online Activities" and there is also an accompanying workbook that guides the student through the online portion. You can probably find these on eithr Ebay or Amazon. My daughter used this last year and was very happy with the course.

Nancy

Great information, Nancy. I didn't realize that the online activities were also available on a CD. I will look for that.

Angel Marie - I searched for high school class schedules using this textbook and found a few. No one was using all of the chapters. I decided to break out the ones on human anatomy and functions and have DD do those as part of her Health credit.

Pegasus

it's kinda hard to sort out, but it looks to me that a few of things offered in the on-line stuff is not covered on the cd. it may not be stuff you care about, so look closely and see.

as far as finishing the book, i thought i would skip the a&p sections too and possibly the ecology as well--but that still leaves 26 chapters which is alot to fit in 9 months and not go to fast covering info. i will have to see how it goes. i planned on covering the a&p stuff later in high school ( probably junior year after chemistry) since my son loves studying human body. i have also heard that if you have to leave something out of this course, leave out the ecology, but not totally sure.

they say with this campbell, that the main thing is not the textbook, but the online stuff. book is only part of the entire picture.

thanks for your info.

angel

i can't wait to get my hands on the book so i can start figuring out what i need for labs. i hope it is things that are do-able at home and don't need a complete science lab.

hi,

how far did she get in the book? lots of chapters!

angel

My boys did all the chapters this school year, one chapter per week with continuous review. The online component, for which we used the CD, is essential. They also used Miller/Levine for some review toward the end before taking the SAT Subject test in biology on June 4. Based on his practice tests, I expect ds15 will have broken 700 on the subject test. I don't think ds13 did as well, but his scores will not be kept unless we request it since he is below high school and he did well enough that the testing experience was not unpleasant for him. I really liked Miller/Levine, especially the workbook for it, and may use that as the main text for younger kids, though older dss did like Exploring Life, so we'll see.